Go Down

Topic: arduino to cnc stepper driver Question (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

snailFury

I've got a homemade cnc, an arduino duemilanove, a macbook, and a hobby cnc stepper driver that takes input from a db25 cable. I want to interface the arduino and the hobbycnc stepper driver. Can I build or buy an adapter that connects the arduino to the db25 cable?

thanks

sF

pylon

You have to give us a bit more information. Is the DB25 cable a RS232 interface? What type is the stepper driver? Do you have a link to the datasheet?

Chagrin

With these CNC boards the parallel port of the computer is used as just a bunch of digital I/O pins (TTL level). Your problem isn't an electrical one but rather a physical one.

There is no standard pin out. You can buy breakout boards or DB25 "shells" that might help in wiring it up, or you could even cut a parallel cable and strip the wires. All depends on what you think will work best for you and how much money you want to spend.

snailFury

I don't have a link to the datasheet, but here is a link to the specs for the board.

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-pro-chopper-driver-board-kits/

and the motors:

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/stepper-motors/

the plug is a 25 pin male rs-232

the board is meant to be used with step/direction software like mach3, which I have but my pc died and so here I am. I would like to us something like GRBL.

Chagrin, I thought about cutting the plug off, but I'm not sure if I would be able to differentiate the wires inside. A shell seems like a pretty good solution. It's just a question of routing pwm signals on 6 pins(x-y-z) isn't it?

pylon

From your specs it seems Chagrin is right with the connector: it's a parallel port plug. The signals you have to provide are not PWM but you have a direction and a step pin. Selected the direction (using the pin HIGH or LOW) you make a step with the motor for every tick on the step line. The pin numbers and the signal meaning is on the specs page you linked.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy