Go Down

Topic: Power supply for uno? (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm in need of a power supply for a finished project.  If I read the docs correctly a 5V power supply is not enough and should be minimum 7V.   I have room for a small open frame power supply but am having trouble finding a cheap one.  I looked at Jameco and they don't show a 7V open frame.  12V is pushing the limit according to the docs.  Should I just take a wall wart and cut it open and mount it inside the project?  I don't want to use a wall wart outside the project because the it also needs line voltage and I don't want two cords to plug in.  So it is best for me to include a power supply inside.  Any tips on good power supplies?

7 volts is needed for the on board regulator, if you get a regulated 5 volt supply you can attach it to the 5 volt and ground point on the board

or you could crack open a wall wart

These are good and pretty small, I use them a lot.
Either 5V direct to 5V pin on the power header, or 7.5V to the barrel jack.
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-0520  1A version available too
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

You could also just use a USB adapter and plug it into the USB-port on the arduino. Works fine for me.

Jun 11, 2012, 03:26 am Last Edit: Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 am by dkl65 Reason: 1
I think that you can also use 4 NiMH batteries in series directly into the 5V and GND pins (mind polarity). NiMH batteries are about 1.2V each. Powering the Arduino with a 9V battery is a waste (even though I do that) because...
*You give the Arduino 9 volts, only to let the voltage regulator drop it to 5V; 4/9 of the energy wasted
*9V batteries have poor current capability
*They have low capacity (about 0.5Ah) while NiMH batteries have about 2Ah
*They are expensive
Visit http://www.glenof.webs.com/!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131