Go Down

Topic: Weird Serial Connection (Read 366 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,

I have a board that has a uart debug port and I am trying to connect to it via my arduino. When I do so using the following properties in PuTTY(windows 7):

Bits per sec: 115200
Data bit: 7
parity: none
stop bit: 1
flow control: none

I get some gibberish like so:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1L3nHjvlFlUeDM4Y1hIbC1jNU0

I know for a fact that I am missing a lot of stuff that should be outputted to the serial...Is there anyway I know what settings I need to use to get proper output?

Thanks,
Rohit

SurferTim

There are 8 data bits.
Data bit: 8

The rate is determined by the rate set in the Serial.begin() call.

cr0sh

It might also help if you posted just -what- this board is, and where you got the settings from (That is, did you read a datasheet or something for the board or serial interface on the board? Were you told what it was by a service technician or the manufacturer? Did you get it from another forum?).

You can't just randomly assign values and somehow expect it to work; the board is probably expecting the settings to be something quite specific (I would try common ones like 9600-8n1, 2400-8n1, 1200-8n1; then move to more uncommon ones - most of the time, debug interfaces on such boards are rarely set up to communicate at high speeds, unless you have a spec that says otherwise).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Graynomad

7 data bits is possible but very unlikely, especially for a debugging interface that may have to show bytes.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy