Go Down

Topic: AC Light Dimming via Arduino (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

tofuman64

Hello All,

I am asking for guidance on whether this personal home project is feasible.

I want to dim my room light via arduino, also using a solenoid to control the physical switch itself.
Would this be a feasible home project, and if so, could someone point me to which specific arduino board to buy?

Thanks,
-
----------------
tofu

majenko

"Dimming" AC power electronically is quite a tricky task.

Manual dimmers are effectively a large potentiometer (actually called a Rheostat).  To do it electronically is somewhat harder.

The accepted method of doing it is kind of like PWM, but with special timing.  The AC waveform is chopped off at certain percentages through its cycle to reduce the power.  This takes special hardware, and interfacing it is not a task I would enjoy.

Your best bet would be to get an infra-red dimmer plate to replace your existing wall switch, and program the Arduino to send the right remote codes through an infra-red LED.  That way you have the remote control as well ;)
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

winner10920

Any arduino would work, try an uno
why do you want to control the physical switch?
You can use a triac and with detecting when it crosses zero, dim the lights
I have a lutron dimmer with remote in my room, so btw I couldn't get the infrared to work, its its own protocol and wasn't able to it with ken sheriffs ir library,

majenko

I have a lutron dimmer with remote in my room, so btw I couldn't get the infrared to work, its its own protocol and wasn't able to it with ken sheriffs ir library,

You'd want to "record" the IR signal using an IR receiver connected to the Arduino, then you can replay it back again.  That way you don't care what the protocol is.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

winner10920

Yeah, I tried with that and it didn't work, and I know the hardware worked It did with a normal protocol
I think its a little too complex for that library, it sends like 4-5 different codes in succesion thta aren't always the same

Go Up