Go Down

Topic: AC Light Dimming via Arduino (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

tofuman64

Well for one im going to switch out my CFL for an LED driven bulb.
Secondly, I would think that the software and hardware involved for dimming a DC LED bulb would be less sophisticated, correct?

winner10920

Depends if its dimmable, some are some aren't, and some need special way of dimming(which idk about)
I think if you get a dimmable led the easiest way would be with a triac,
You could even make your own switch on the wall with your own ir setup for remote control, just pick a protocol you like or have a remote for and house a little circuit board in the switch box, use those unbreakable plastic plates and drill an ir reciever in it

luxxtek

[font=Verdana]Be careful when playing with mains powered lights.
You could rectify the mains but YOU CAN NOT GROUND any rectified DC mains voltage.
This will set any equipment connected to the arduino to mains voltage ( e.g. touching metal parts of the computer/USB connector .... you use to program the arduino will be live) VERY DANGEROUS  !!!!

first experiment with low voltage projects, mains voltage is dangerous to life[/font]

majenko

Out of interest I just came across this circuit: http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/Voltage_Controlled_AC_Light_Dimmer/

It transforms the voltage down to 9V with a transformer, full wave rectifies it, then does some jiggery-pokery with a 555 to drive a triac at just the right moments.

Looks an interesting circuit.  I may have to investigate testing it out some time.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

PeterH

I can ground the neutral line

NO!

Don't do it. Don't even think about doing it.

Neutral is not ground. Depending how your supply is connected and what your neighbours are doing, it could be a significantly different voltage. If you connect that to your local ground you make your local ground absorb the current imbalance between the three phases in your neighbourhood. That can easily be more current than your local ground is designed to handle. It might manage it (without damaging anything) but on the other hand you might find that your local ground now has a voltage on it. If you manage that, it could be extremely dangerous.

I strongly advise you abandon any thought of directly manipulating or wiring into mains voltage circuits. Given the level of understanding implied by your proposals, I don't believe you're in a position to do it safely. More worrying, I don't think you appreciate how much you would have to learn to do this safely.

If you haven't been taught to deal with mains voltage electricity, stay well away from it. You only need one mistake to kill you, or somebody else. Either buy a professionally designed device to do what you want, or convert the problem to low voltage.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up