Go Down

Topic: Mega 2560 - FTDI possibly not working... (Read 713 times) previous topic - next topic

therufuser

Hey Forum!

So... after getting my board out of the dust I was trying to upload a little test sketch. But after getting an error message. I tried 'lsusb' on linux which didn't show my board so I thought it might be broken... Today I tested it on a windows machine and same problem... The sketch won't upload...

Code: [Select]
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc8
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x01
avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode

That's the error message on windows. When I plug in my board windows won't recognize it so I installed the driver manually. Same result.

I'd really like to programm my Arduino so I'd be really pleased if I got an answer soon :)

James C4S

The Mega2560 didn't use a FTDI chip.  It uses an ATmega8u2 as the usb-to-serial adapter, which should appear as a usbmodem on to your operating system.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

therufuser

Hmm.. Ok thanks :)

But still won't recognize the device

Could it be a driver issue on both operating systems?

Or can I buy a device to replace the old chip?

James C4S

On linux when you attach the device, you should see something logged to dmesg.  If not, the serial-to-usb converter may not be working.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

therufuser

Well.. Nothing arduino or USB relevant logged to dmesg...
So what do I look for to replace the old chip?
Thanks so far :)

pluggy

http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy