Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Group prjects.  (Read 506 times)
Office meets Adruino
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

does the forum do group pojects?

A knife forum I belonged to had group projects where they would build a knife and everyone would post their results at the end.

What i was thinking was to start with a basic bill of materials to start with and each person could add their interpretation or flair if they desired.

Start with something like the blink sketch where everyone has at least one resistor, one led and one arduino. People would not be limited to the original bill of materials but could use their own creativity or knowledge and expand on it if they wished.

Just something to pass the time and learn from. We could use the educational part of the playground or come up with something of our own.

The goal would be to use inexpensive components, an arduino and some creativity.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

well this would be the correct place to find interested parties in a non spammy way, but its much easier as you form the group to snag a host and dedicate a project page for those involved

ie google projects

arduino is totally different to each person, some are non EE types trying to solve a problem in a easy/efficient way, some of us are tinkers exploring what we can do, some are in the middle
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:54:19 pm by Osgeld » Logged

SouthEast UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Dumb question coming up, but, what is a knife forum?.  I know what a knife is,  there are forums about them ? :-?

Edit: There you go. Google as (nearly) always provided the answer. Yes there are.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:56:11 am by wiz » Logged

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sounds good.

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

well this would be the correct place to find interested parties in a non spammy way, but its much easier as you form the group to snag a host and dedicate a project page for those involved

It was a knife making forum. The project that sticks in my head was a barlow folder. Everyone started with the same blade but in the end the bolsters, handles were made from a variety of materials. leather , wood, plasic of different colors and some really nice knives were made by hand.

arduino is totally different to each person, some are non EE types trying to solve a problem in a easy/efficient way, some of us are tinkers exploring what we can do, some are in the middle

exactly. everyone has their own implementation and idea on how to work on a task. That is where we can get a feel for doing things another way. Some ways may complicate the process and others may make it easier but maybe we can learn something along the way.

Group buys would be a nice addition be we would have to check with vendors to see what kind of a deal they can work out for us depending on how may take part in the projects.

Darlington, UK
Shaamo
View Profile

Sounds like fun.

Just some observations/thoughts though, not poopooing the idea at all.

Maybe pick a real world problem/idea and take it from there.  What I mean by that is pick something that is commercially available, say, and throw it open to interpretation.

I'm not explaining this very well, I appreciate, so I'll use an example.

Boiling an Egg.  Timing is critical for the "perfect" egg.  Perfect being that it's down to a persons own choice.

The outcome project could be anything as simple as a light/buzzer that comes on after a user specified time period, down to using temperature sensors and some form of mass sensor (boiled eggs are less dense than raw or is it the other way around, I forget)

Rather than specifying components to be used, make the specification part of hte challenge.  So use 2 inputs and have at least 2 methods of verification of boiled'ness.

The finalised circuit could be as complex or as simple as the user needs, and thus inject a lot more creativity.

Back to your knife forum example... I'm sure some knives were quite simple, functional affairs and others elaborate.  The end project was the same though.  Make a knife useful by adding the means by which to hold it, the forummers took that idea and made it their own.

Great idea though, and I'd be up for taking part  smiley-grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: