Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] Problem with Serial to Parallel Shifting-Out with a 74HC595 (Read 732 times) previous topic - next topic

Jun 12, 2012, 09:43 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 am by AndyMcCall Reason: 1
Hi Folks!

I've been working through some of the examples getting ready for my own project and I've stumbled upon a problem when doing the Serial to Parallel Shifting-Out with a 74HC595 example.  I'm using a 74HC595N and I've ripped the example apart around 4 times, and everytime I seem to get the same problem.

My LEDs seem to go "wrong" at around binary 5 or 6.  Then they just seem messed up until I can see the counter starts again.  I'm pretty sure I've got something wrong as they are also dipping in power on some numbers, as if there is a bad ground or something, but I've checked for shorts bad connections and can't see anything.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some ideas on what could be wrong.  I've posted a video of the problem and a picture of my project on my Google+ page here and I've attached the picture to this post.  I'm sorry for the yellow wires I realise this may make tracing the cables difficult, I'm waiting for a delivery of jumper cables - I knocked these home made tinned ones up myself so I could get on with playing :)

Thank you in advance!

AndyMcCall

Graynomad

Do you have that 1uF cap on the latch pin? If so remove it.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

I did have it on the latch pin as the tutorial said to have it on to iron out any flickering.  I removed it as you suggested.and the problem seemed to get worse, so I replaced it.  When I replaced it I accidently put the right hand leg of the capacitor - what was on the breadboard hole 18 - back to 5V, rather than GND like the tutorial says.  This has actually fixed the problem. The binary sequence is perfect now, although I don't understand why.  I'm still getting every other number a bit dimmer though...

Graynomad

Are the grounds connected between the Arduino and the other circuitry?

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 12:51 am by AndyMcCall Reason: 1
Excellent - got it working!  The grounds were connected, but the breadboard has two +5 rails that are not connected (I'm a newbie to electronics, but not programming so didn't realise this!).  I've connected them just under the first green LED in my picture, and I've now got a perfect binary sequence with the cap returning to GND and rock solid LED's with no dimming.

Thank you very much for your help!  Next up is moving on to driving a 1602 LCD instead of LED's :) Thank ou once again!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy