Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Building a Video Based Dice Reader?  (Read 288 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've googled this and two things show up.. the project where you put the die on the led sensors and making electronic dice. 

Basically what I want to do is make a reader that will record the values of the two dice after they are thrown.  Are there libraries with the image processing tools to do this?  I was thinking threshold the image to black and white and count the white spots. 

Any ideas, links or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What has this to do with an Arduino?

View Profile

That's the platform  I want to build it on..  I have 6 or 7 laying around.. this is the arduino forum right?

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

this is the arduino forum right?
Yes it is but doing video processing on an arduino is not going to happen.

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Making dice that sense which way they have landed might involve an Arduino to interface to the sensors.

Using image processing to determine which face of the dice is facing up is not a job for an Arduino - it's a job for a computer.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

I realized I don't need a video image, just one shot from a camera.  That is probably doable..

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I realized I don't need a video image, just one shot from a camera.  That is probably doable..
What part of no are you having difficulty understanding?

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

That is probably doable.

It doesn't seem doable to me, but since you don't seem to believe the replies telling you that I suggest you give it a try. Whether you succeed or not, you will end up with a much greater appreciation of the difficulty of the problem you're trying to solve. I suggest you start by implementing your solution on a PC first since this will enable you to get something working (on a PC it will be relatively easy) without having to deal with all the hardware limitations and resource constraints of the Arduino. Then see how much memory, code space and CPU time your PC solution is using, and look for a suitable platform to run it on. I don't think it will be an Arduino, but perhaps you will prove me wrong.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: