Go Down

Topic: Perfboard/Breadboard Arduino Upload Errors (FTDI Breakout) (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

dtfgator

Jun 19, 2012, 05:41 am Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012, 05:48 am by dtfgator Reason: 1
Hi!  I've been working with arduino for a while now, but I'm trying to make something more permanent that I can easily program and forget (just plug it in and let it run), but I've been getting a "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0" error whenever I try to upload.  

I build exactly this circuit:  http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone , and I swear I've checked all of the connections a million times by now.  I pulled the Atmel chip from a working Uno (already bootloaded) and everything appears to be working alright.  Meter reads 5.05v coming out of the FTDI breakout, reset LED (pin13) blinks when I hit the reset button.  However, it doesn't blink when I connect power.  I've already tried hitting the reset button at different points before/during the compile and upload process and that hasn't fixed the issues.  I've also set the board as a Duemanelove 328P in the settings and have tried both USB COM's that show up (on my Mac) when I plug it in.  

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Dtfgator

Update:  Just pushed the reset button at a different time (before I hit upload in the IDE) and I got a slightly different error message:  "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
"  I also have the latest version of the Arduino IDE and I downloaded the FDTI drivers if it helps. 

dtfgator

Sorry for the double post… Just went back and looked at the Duemilanove schematics… Looks like there is a .1uF (100nF) ceramic cap between the DTR on the FTDI chip and pin 1 on the arduino.  Do you guys think adding this would fix my problem? 

wanderson

That capacitor is needed so that the FTDI/Arduino IDE can automatically reset the chip, which is needed by the bootloader/programmer.  You can accomplish the same thing by resetting the chip just prior to uploading a sketch.   If you are still having problems, I suggest turning on verbose uploading and posting the output so we can help diagnose.  Also a photo of your circuit helps just in case there is a wiring problem,
New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy