Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Placement of resistors.  (Read 2174 times)
Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well I just am not the best surface mount solderer.  Also my traces are at the minimum spacing for dorkbotpdx right now.  Its a small prototype but I will be ordering custom boards for it.

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Would pencil led work well as a resistor, or is it not resistive enough?
Think how much is pencil led it must be ten times more expensive than a resistor.

Well I just am not the best surface mount solderer.
Good chance to get some practice in.

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

I did  buy some scrap boards from sparkfun and got a few samples to practice with.
It was awful.

I did purchase Sparkfuns Heaterizer XL-3000 knowing that it wasn't entirely capable of solder rework and such, although this guy did all this with it.
http://bodger.dreamwidth.org/17113.html

I'm hoping that it'll be able to help me out with the soldering a bit, especially with the QFN tlc5940

Edison Member
View Profile

Using the right tool helps alot, but alot of it is practice
id suggest practicing on similiar size smd parts before you go for broke with the ones you bought
I collect all sorts of scrap boards, some of it very dense smd boards
I wipe them entirely clean with a toaster oven and sort out the smd parts, then when I want to practice I take the newly cleaned board and try to resolder the parts, its great practice

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

oh wait....can't I just make a reflow oven?  I have an older toaster oven in the basement that we don't use any more.

Edison Member
View Profile

Yes you could, just need to control the power to the elements, have a high temp sensor, and maybe a little display to make it all official
im planning on doing it with my toaster oven, but not yet as im only using it destructively to remove parts not put them on and so I don't care if the temperature is as 350 or 400 or 450, just so long as the solder melts
In a reflow oven the temperature is quite important, as well as following a proper temperature curve which is pretty easy once your controlling the heating element

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Okay, I think I'll just do that.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you don't want to do SMD and you can tolerate 0.1" spacing a bussed resistor network is handy:

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/Resistor-Networks-Arrays/_/N-e89lZscv7?P=1yzu5aiZ1yzs1g7Z1yzu5ah

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

I've always been unsure about those bussed networks.  Say I connected them to a number of ICs that don't have diodes.  What would stop the electricity from going through the network and then have a signal at some random ic that is connected to the bus.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I wouldn't give up on SMD totally though, I absolutely hated it for years, now I can solder it down without even holding the components. I still dont use it for 1 off stuff, its too much of a pain for me to make PCB's since I dont always have the right stuff on hand, but have plenty of perf board

though as someone else mentioned you would be pretty suprised how much SMD stuff can actually fit on .1 pads, like 805's plcc 4's SMA/SMB stuff etc

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Well I know they are much smaller and I don't hate SMD, I just am not good at it.  I wish I was better because then I could get the parts, throw it together, and it would work just as well as my through-hole projects and they would be so much smaller.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I used to be scared of SMD - now I use it all the time, even on my own home-etched (toner transfer method) boards.

Fore anything smaller than SOIC pitch I tend to use a breakout board of some form (I have some very nice ones specially designed for 100-pin TQFP PIC chips that include all the bypass caps and an ICSP header), because it's more reliable than using TT.

0805 SMD capacitors at 100nF make fantastic bypass capacitors - they just solder directly between adjacent power/ground pins on a DIP chip.  They don't take up any room at all then.  22pF ones also make good load capacitors with a crystal between two outer tracks and a central ground track.  Again, no room.

Yes, it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but if you always shy away from it then you'll never get that practice.  And SMD passive components are so cheap I don't even worry about dropping some on the floor.

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

0805 SMD capacitors at 100nF make fantastic bypass capacitors

Whats a bypass capacitor?

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

bypass - decoupling - they're different names for the same thing.

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Ohhh okay.

On a side note, has anybody used the Heaterizer XL-3000 Heat gun and had success doing solder rework?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: