Go Down

Topic: Trouble burning the bootloader onto ATmega328P from Arduino Uno. (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic

I sampled some microcontrollers from Atmel not too long ago and I picked up some of what I thought were the Arduino Uno uCs.

Turns out, instead of grabbing the ATmega328P-PU, I got the P-PN. I did some digging around and the general consensus is that the P-PU one refers to pico-power. I also read that operating temps were a little different but other than that, it shouldn't be any different.

So, here is my problem: I have been trying to burn the bootloader onto them but, alas, to no avail.

I am using my Arduino Uno R3 wired up through pins 10, 11, 12, & 13 to a standalone ATmega328P-PN using its own internal oscillator on a breadboard.

I have added this to my /boards.txt file:

##############################################################
atmega328bb.name=ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)
atmega328bb.upload.protocol=stk500
atmega328bb.upload.maximum_size=30720
atmega328bb.upload.speed=57600
atmega328bb.bootloader.low_fuses=0xE2
atmega328bb.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
atmega328bb.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
atmega328bb.bootloader.path=arduino:atmega
atmega328bb.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328_pro_8MHz.hex (strikeout is the incorrect part)
atmega328bb.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega328bb.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
atmega328bb.build.mcu=atmega328p
atmega328bb.build.f_cpu=8000000L
atmega328bb.build.core=arduino:arduino
atmega328bb.build.variant=arduino:standard

I know that there are some incorrect settings in there and I can see them but I don't know what the valid corrections would be. I didn't try too much with this method; at least not until I know the information is correct.

I tried my hand at optiLoader which uses a sketch to burn the bootloader onto the blank microcontroller. I uploaded the sketch to my Uno and then hit the reboot to initiate the burn. I didn't get any error message but every time I try to upload a sketch (Blink, even), I get this error code:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

When I tried to do the conventional "Arduino as ISP" and then "Burn Bootloader" under the Tools menu but I got these two different error codes (one code at one attempt and the second during another attempt):

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

...and...

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x98

I am using Windows 7 Professional and I am using the Arduino IDE version 1.0.5-r2. Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong or could someone point me in the right direction.

Is it simply that it won't work with the ATmega328P-PN?

Thank you for reading through this and thanks for helping out.

mart256

Sep 04, 2014, 12:05 am Last Edit: Sep 04, 2014, 12:12 am by mart256 Reason: 1
Shouldn't matter if it's P-PN or P-PU. The protocol has been upgraded to arduino (not stk anymore for UNO).
Try this (8mhz internal clock).

Code: [Select]

unobb.name=Arduino Uno
unobb.upload.protocol=arduino
unobb.upload.maximum_size=32256
unobb.upload.speed=115200
unobb.bootloader.low_fuses=0xE2
unobb.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDE
unobb.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFF
unobb.bootloader.path=optiboot
unobb.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
unobb.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
unobb.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
unobb.build.mcu=atmega328p
unobb.build.f_cpu=8000000L
unobb.build.core=arduino
unobb.build.variant=standard

Peter_n

Please don't cross-post http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=264861.0

raschemmel

I use these . I buy em by the dozen along with all the crystals and 18 pF caps.
They come with bootloader intalled.

I got started with this, and I have used them for about six different projects.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone  
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

raschemmel

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

raschemmel

I can't see anything in your post about what equipment you are trying to use to burn your bootloader .

What do you have ? (an UNO as ISP , or a programmer)

@raschemmel 4th paragraph, first sentence:

"I am using my Arduino Uno R3 wired up through pins 10, 11, 12, & 13 to a standalone ATmega328P-PN using its own internal oscillator on a breadboard."

I was careful to include as much info as I could so that others that had some insight on my issue could help.

I'm curious: what would a part number have to do with it? Do you mean model number, instead?

Btw, sorry about the x-post; I didn't know where it would belong best.

Coding Badly

I was careful to include as much info as I could...

Power?  Ground?  Capacitors?  Pull-up on RESET#?

# I have never needed it when programming a breadboarded target but the cost to include it is essentially zero so there is no excuse not to include when faced with trouble.

You can change the protocol for protocol to arduino  and it seems you are using internal clock. Here's the link  http://shortedwire.blogspot.com/2014/09/cheap-standalone-arduino-14.html for help.

Go Up