Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need help: How to make my own 24x16 LED Matrix display  (Read 6258 times)
India
Silicon Addict
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Could be  you're just going too fast, got too much flashing too quick, the eye can't take it in.
Slow it down some, and clearly turn off a column before turning on the next one.

No, I've played with the delay - from 0 to 5 and it works as expected. So there's nothing wrong with that. My mistake, the multiplexing does work fine. It explains why a single row is quite bright even though a single column is not. It's because rows are generated by switching on one anode at a time while keeping the cathodes constant. But the columns are generated by several anodes at once and a single cathode turned on. Which causes the brightness to dim, possibly because of the low sink value of the 4094.

My blog Emptiness in Void. New to Microcontrollers? Learn [url=http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Cod

India
Silicon Addict
View Profile

Looks like I'm gonna keep this thread alive even if it kills me!  smiley-razz

My friendly neighbourhood parts guy didn't have any of the high current TPIC6B595s. But thankfully, he finally got the 74HC595s and it has made a world of a difference over the HCF4094Bs.

One curious thing to note. Initially I had the same problem as earlier where the rows were bright and columns weren't. But when I changed the orientation by 90 degrees (in the code I mean), it suddenly looks great. All LEDs are of more or less equal brightness.

Couple of things to note. I switched from using shiftOut to SPI and wow! The speed has increased by more than 10 times. Secondly, I got some pretty 8x8 bit fonts from Richard Prinz's Pixel ROM Font Editor. It has a whole bunch of pre-built fonts from the C64, Macintosh era.

My blog Emptiness in Void. New to Microcontrollers? Learn [url=http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Cod

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Cool.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: