Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Laser Range Finder  (Read 59794 times)
Akron, OH
We need more Jigawatts!!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm interested, with a few questions. I can't see your pictures (security reasons) but do you use visible light? Also, does the shield emit a steady beam, or a pulsed beam. Thanks.

Joseph

View Profile

Hi, I'm interested in this laser distance finder. Is it capable to measure up to 100 meters of distance?
Is the laser beam visible and is it safe if pointed into an eye?

I'd want to purchase one for some prototyping. Do you guys sell them?

View Profile

I just noticed that there has been some activity relating to this Arduino Laser Finder project. Thanks for the comments and questions but this is an old project and it has been superseded by a number of other products. You can find more info at www.lightware.co.za or you can contact Tracy on info@lightware.co.za.

distributor for cool laser range finder: http://www.lightware.co.za/
View Profile

Hi All

I am the US distributor for the SF02 Laser Rangefinder from Lightware Optoelectronics
http://www.lightware.co.za/

I'm new here, and new to being a distributor,  but I can answer some questions.

Q: how does a slower than light microcontroller measure a speed of light signal?
A: The short answer is DOWN CONVERSION. The long answer is in the DS00 manual on the lightware website;
basically it takes lots and lots of readings and these build up to make a signal, kind of like when we make a charcol rubbing off and old grave stone; one pass is not readable but many passes gives us an image of the faded head stone.
Another way to look at it is simnilar to the "beat frrequency" when tuning two guitar strings relative to each other (in the old days guitars had strings, ask somebody old, possibly with long hair, to show you).

Q: How well does it work?
A: Out of the box, no adjustments to the default settings, it works in full sunlight to the range listed, depending on the target.  When the targe is fuzzy (shrubbery with no leaves) it gives reading somewhere between the nearest visisble point, and the farthest visible point.  If the target is a wall, it gives the distance to the way plus or minus a couple centimeters (the distance to the wall increases further to the sides).  If the angle to the wall is not exactly 90 degrees, the reading bounces between the further reading and the closest reading (makes sense, yes?)  Its pretty much the same as measuring with a tape measure, just a lot faster.

Q: How quickly does it read?
A: The laser flashes continuously, getting lots and lots of samples.  It builds these into a displable reading about 12 times per second. Its VERY fast.

Q: how to get one?
A: I am setting up a sales point, either through Ebay or Amazon or similar.  As I said, I'm new to this, please bear with me.  Message me if you are in a hurry or want to reserve one, or have more questions.

FORTH developer

Inventor/Maker/Hacker

distributor for cool laser range finder: http://www.lightware.co.za/
View Profile

To Clarify: The SF02 it the current production model of the laser range finder.

There were several prototypes, one was discussed earlier in this thread, another was the DS00 the I experimented with last year (details are in another forum).

SF02 is built on the results from the earlier model.  The SF02 has range of about 40 meters, versus the 350 meters of the DS00; but the SF02 is lighter and lower cost.  The eariler models were limited prototype runs, the SF02 is  in production.  The laser module is listed with proper regulatory agencies, and we are now able to gear up distribution.

Incidentally, one problem I had testing the DS00 was the distance was too long for me to measure! I couldn't find anything of appropriate size that was exactly 350 meters away.   Turns out 1 or 2 cm doesn't matter at that distance. I could measure to two distance objects that were a small (1-2 meters) distance apart, and the difference between to (long range ) readings for each object worked out to the measured distance. 

FORTH developer

Inventor/Maker/Hacker

View Profile

Hi, I was wondering if this LRF can be modified into a laser fluorometer? I don't know if it has it currently, but it would require pulse modulation to control for background radiation. Also, the laser beam and avalanche photodiode would require different specific wavelengths than the current setup. A few different wavelengths are used, but I've seen 665nm lasers used with 690nm photodiodes. People have used telescopes in conjunction with the photodiodes to focus on the laser-illuminated region, but it seems that you already have a focus lens on the photodiode? I would think converting from a LRF to a laser fluorometer would be fairly simple... Maybe this is a bit optimistic?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: