Go Down

Topic: Rotating door automation (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

zoomkat

For simple servo setups, a 7805 regulating chip can have the output voltage increased using a small diode on the chip ground pin like below. There is a noticable servo performance improvement between 5v and 5.7v

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

ChickenMechanic

Oct 15, 2012, 10:17 am Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 pm by ChickenMechanic Reason: 1
I think I understood that.

I apologise if this is a stupid question but could I supply 12v to the arduino barrel connector and take the servo power from the VIN pin through a 7805 and diode as you suggested?

In fact considering the rating of the servo is 4.8v - 7.2v would a 7806 and no diode be better?

I just want to keep things are straight forward as possible and a 12v power brick should be easy to find.

lafontas

This project would be well suited for a battery/solar panel application perhaps as a phase 2 of the project. Cheers, ChickenMechanic ;)

Graynomad

could I supply 12v to the arduino barrel connector and take the servo power from the VIN pin through a 7805 and diode as you suggested?

Yep.

would a 7806 and no diode be better?

Same horse, different colour.

The diode trick is good if you have a 7805 lying around, you could use two diodes for that matter. But if you have to buy a regulator anyway the 7806 is fewer components.

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

ChickenMechanic

They were so cheap I took a chance and went ahead and bought them. The proto board is all soldered up and working fine.

The only change I might make is to use a potentiometer to adjust the threshold value.

Go Up