Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Total rewrite of the Arduino App needed!  (Read 3782 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

a sane editor (line numbers?
We have that already, the small number at the bottom of the page is the line number of the current cursor. Why do you want all the lines numberd?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

We want "go to line", Mike. So if you get an error on line 243 you can go to it, without just scrolling around looking at that number in the corner.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Error messages and line numbers are one out due to the editor starting at line 1 and the compiler at line 0.
When you get an error the appropriate line is almost always highlighted, mind you that is not always where the error is it is just where the compilers ally gave up.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I usually get an error at line -1.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I think the OP has gone to ground. So we are just talking amongst ourselves here.

Berlin, Germany
View Profile

Have you clicked the "use external editor" button in preferences?

Hi, westf!

Thanks for Your reply! Actually, I had tried that "external editor" mode previously (since it caught my interest), but it had confused me, since it prevents editing in the Arduino IDE itself - and thus I switched it off again. In that way, I have failed to realize that, when using this mode, the IDE does indeed reload the document each time a compile or compile/upload is started (unlike when the "external editor" mode is switched off).
This mode is actually quite helpful if one knows about it. Although I really would prefer the IDE to play well with an external editor even in normal editing mode - and to reload a document automatically every time it was saved in an external editor (I believe that this should be standard behavior of a modern software).

I started using that external editor mode now. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Best,
Björn

Berlin, Germany
View Profile

We want "go to line", Mike. So if you get an error on line 243 you can go to it, without just scrolling around looking at that number in the corner.

Hey, Nick - Dear all,

thanks for Your discussion! I wanted to chime in and say that I also think that implementing this line numbering on every line would be really great - for exactly the reason that Nick pointed out. Also, at the current moment, the IDE (version 1.0.1) seem to have this bug that it gives an offset in the line numbers (at least sometimes). Well, I am sure that the developer of IDE version 1 are still ironing out bugs here.

I do think that the Arduino IDE as it is is very well suited for beginners, and that it does a very good job in abstracting away all the complexities that seem to historically have gotten into the way of the occasional tinkerer. But should that be a reason not to try to improve it? Trying to raise the standards (what I believe roddi has simply tried to suggest - even though he may not have expressed it well enough) doesn't need to get into the way of simplicity. Actually, I do think that, by trying to follow standards (such as standards of C++ etc. - what roddi has suggested), we would help the users later (imagine people would want to move away from Arduino, and start developing other software; following standards is always an important way to teach people). But I can't really comment on how hard it would be to implement - just wanted to chime in that I generally find it a good idea.

Best regards!
Björn

God Member
Always making something...
View Profile

Also, at the current moment, the IDE (version 1.0.1) seem to have this bug that it gives an offset in the line numbers (at least sometimes). Well, I am sure that the developer of IDE version 1 are still ironing out bugs here.

This is, or was, issue #907.

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=907

I submitted the patch to fix these line number bugs on May 6.  Unfortunately, that was not early enough to make the 1.0.1 release on May 21, but it was committed to github on May 27, so this is fixed in the latest code and will be in 1.0.2.

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

I think the OP has gone to ground. So we are just talking amongst ourselves here.

Yup, OPs argument was beaten.  Dead thread

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Berlin, Germany
View Profile

Also, at the current moment, the IDE (version 1.0.1) seem to have this bug that it gives an offset in the line numbers (at least sometimes). Well, I am sure that the developer of IDE version 1 are still ironing out bugs here.

This is, or was, issue #907.

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=907

I submitted the patch to fix these line number bugs on May 6.  Unfortunately, that was not early enough to make the 1.0.1 release on May 21

Hi, Paul!

Great news. Thanks for the work!

Best regards!
Björn

View Profile

I've implemented some changes to the current system. I did a post on how to modify them as well if you are interested. It's here: http://hellowoo.com/arduino/dark-ui-theme-syntax-highlighting/

for(i = 0, i < 820480075, i++){ Design(); Code(); delay(1000); } // hellowoo.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I use ino and Sublime Text 2. They are a match made in heaven, Sublimes awesome fetures and then a simple "ino build; ino upload" to the command prompt.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Thanks for putting me onto Sublime Text, that's a really nice editor. I've been using Notepad++ which is great but might try Sublime for a while and see how to goes.

I'll check out ino as well.

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: