Go Down

Topic: IR frequency (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

Not sure if you know too much about optics but that is not going to fix the problem.

DuaneB

How about 10 or more IR leds driven hard and installed at the far end of a long non reflective tube - I assume the non reflective tube will only emit a narrow beam ?

Duane.

TweakGeek

I am in the process of working on focusing the IR beam using a double convex lens.  I'm not looking for perfection here at this point.  This is for an art research class in which we have to use Arduino to create an "interactive" project.  This is definitely something I will modify in the future and get it to work better, however, at this point I'm just looking for a working product.  I'm against a deadline (not your problem, it's mine!) so I just need to get something working first and then I can work closer to perfecting it.

I will be working with an 'almost perfect' setting in which there should be no other IR interference (remotes, etc.) that can mess with the project.

I do have a TV-B-Gone that I built a couple of years ago.  I just bought the kit and assembled it so it's not like I have intricate knowledge of its workings.  It is definitely something I will need to look at as far as amplifying the IR signal.

I really do appreciate everyone's input because it is helping me think things through and see possible problems I'm not educated enough to notice.

Thanks!

Docedison

I don't think that the gun is the issue... a shooting gallery implies targets... AND Each one is going to NEED a photodetector. Radio Shack sells a device from TI that will take care of the targets nicely BUT the issue that I think every one has missed in a misguided attempt to display their electronics knowledge is that the OP has virtually no electronics knowledge and limited resources and is virtually incapable of following any direction provided here, as he has stated twice... Period. One Uno and a gun and targets??? The simplest thing I can think of is still involved... First can this device use a red laser diode??? those are cheap and rather easily modulated. The same for the receivers but anything I can come up with is hard to fit into the time and resource/technical restrictions... Old school parts that are simple to use and reasonable readily available/inexpensive. Software is going to make this thing Un Do-Able as he will need to build it all before he can begin to write anything. A 2 - 5 Mw IR laser diode makes the gun. Modulating the gun is easy too. The targets are no issue either but it is a hardware issue where the Uno is used only to collect and display the "hit" information form the targets. A NE556 will make the gun and the targets can be almost any IR sensitive detector... It would be easier if A red laser diode could be used as there is a Laser in every pointer and they are cheap. The Challenge is either collimating a wide angle beam to hit a small target... or a narrow beam to hit a large target. The other issue is the shooting gallery has yet to be defined and I have seen 'advice' from several people who seem to think that the missing information is unimportant... lets have the OP restate the conditions more formally and see if WE can arrive at a consensus for a solution to a restated set of conditions the range has been set... but I don't remember anything about target size and any movement (which would place conditions on response time and data collection.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

AWOL

. A 2 - 5 Mw IR laser diode makes the gun.

Great gun, shame about the nuclear power plant.
]:D

Sp. "mW"
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up