Go Down

Topic: not quite sure where to put this but here is my problem (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

johnblagg

I bought a adrunio uno and one meter of the ldp 8806 digitaly addressable led strip.
    Got it running run no issue and all examples work fine and I have managed to pick apart some of the code in teh examples and learn some about writing sketchs and changing the effects a bit but waht I really want is to be able to adress each pixel individually and have the leds I want on and in the color I want .

I have managed to figure out a way to do it partially but color controll the way Im doing it is not that good ...

Could anyone post a short basic example sketch that would allow me to accomplish this ,say turn on th 5th,7th, and 10th led and have each a different color ? which color does not matter nor does which leds are on as long as I can get a idea of how to do this and build on it to write my own .

Docedison

Have you tried the Playground or Wiki or just Googled it first?

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

SimpleMindedMan

I've ran into this as well. Never did find a long term solution. What I found best was to write your own boolean of what you wan the strip to do (i.e how you want the LED's to light up) and then in the loop method have it set the colors.

johnblagg

I have googled it for a week and looked everywhere you have mentioned as well as read turhog every post that even looked related on this board ....

So YES, I have searched and googled it . on every site related to the subject I could find as well as hours of looking at project videos and examples ,as well as snagging every bit of code I could that had anything to do with addressable led strips and have had no luck at all.

I have modified example sketches for days and have managed to do what I wanted "almost" I get the pixels I want on on and can change them in the code but if I try to do two colors at once on different pixels one color will be mixed between the two I choose while the other is pure .... Im sure due to using the colorchase function to do it

florinc

Jun 22, 2012, 03:47 am Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012, 05:36 am by florinc Reason: 1
I am not really familiar with the LDP8806 strip LEDs, but I know adafruit sells them and they have this tutorial here:
http://www.ladyada.net/products/digitalrgbledstrip/index.html
If you don't find your answer there, I don't know if you can find it anywhere :)

Docedison

I might add my voice to that. there tutorials are top notch and the best libraries I have had worked with... they just work right. Maybe stuff might be cheaper else where but when you buy from or at least for me it works and figuring out how to use their library functions is relatively easy. If I want a working library, I go there first.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

SimpleMindedMan

Here's 2 videos of what I've done with my LED strip (like I said, I've only gone so far with it because I can't address everything they way I want either)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF_tNuDbfeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V5BnPAKXnc

wildbill

Post the code you used to get the effects in your video - it looks like you have control of the individual leds pretty well there. To that end, it would be useful if you could describe what you'd like to do that you can't (yet).

johnblagg

Well actually I did buy mine from adafruit and I am using their lpd8806 library ....    I have to say adafruits customer support is terrific the strip I purchased turned out to have a defect and they replaced it immeadiatly with a new one and told me to keep the old one .... I managed to salvage a 18 led long section from the original then and added it onto the new one to end up with a 50 led long strip ....

Anyway Im sure most of my problem is not understanding the code and how to write a sketch correctly yet since I just started out with both adruino and the digital leds .

what I am attempting to do at the moment is simply turn on every other led in one color and then the ones that are off in another ....

I have used the color chase function to do this but the issue is when I do using red and blue ... they start out fine pure red and blue but when the loop starts over for some reason the red ends up with a hint of blue included for soem reason. The blue mean while is exactly right

SimpleMindedMan

Post the code you used to get the effects in your video - it looks like you have control of the individual leds pretty well there. To that end, it would be useful if you could describe what you'd like to do that you can't (yet).

Well.. Uh, I'd love to post my source code. But my laptop containing it, as well as other important files, crashed both hard drives I had for it. So source code is missing. Though, I could probably get a close sketch to what I used

florinc

Well.. Uh, I'd love to post my source code. But my laptop containing it, as well as other important files, crashed both hard drives I had for it. So source code is missing. Though, I could probably get a close sketch to what I used

And this is where a blog comes handy :)

Go Up