Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Simplest/Slowest/Cheapest/(50meter range) to Interface to Arduino?  (Read 612 times)
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm thinking of gloves which have several led's, and you hand out or buy the gloves and you can make your friends or your own glove, make your glove glow orange for Jane, green for Shelly, red for paul, etc...
and then interface that with Arduino to add effects, remote messaging, simply data streams, something to transfer a few k's at most, but a distance would be nice.... anyone know of cheap way to do this?..

I think adults and kids could have fun, esp in the winter time you could give it commands to carry out without you needing to to a thing eg through an accelerometer, maybe in arctic conditions the same principal could be applied, or special wavelengths which we can't even see for military use using IR cameras....

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

anyone know of cheap way to do this?..

nope

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

To get 50m range, you might look at the low-baudrate 430-Mhz transmitters
and receivers. The rest of it mainly involves putting together a lot of basic
microprocessor stuff, leds, sensors, etc. Probably be fairly simple, may not be
as cheap as you'd like.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sure,
Set everyone up with a ProMini
http://www.gravitech.us/arduino.html
2 AA battery back,
some LEDs/resistor as needed,
and a wireless transceiver
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=188
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

IPoAC - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Edison Member
View Profile

At 3.5$ a piece the nrf24l01+ is definetly the cheapest, and runs of 3.3v, perfect for AA's and a buck/boost regulator
it has 32 byte payloads and I think 16 or 32 different channels, with 5 byte device addresses so you can have alot goin on
lower the speed and you'll get better range at the cost of perhaps more data collisions,  unless you network it well or all of them have the same address and code who gets what in the payload, tho it will take a few packets to get your 1K its better than one at a time

Belgium
View Profile

I have a bunch of nRF24L01 modules, the small cheap ones don't have a range of 50 meters. More like 25-30 meters, with a clear line of sight. I have a couple of the more expensive (20$) version with amp and preamp. I've done some testing with those, it involved using my car... I can control my robot from 1,2km distance  smiley-twist

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"Avian carriers can provide high delay, low throughput, and low  altitude service."

I like the low altitude part smiley-cool

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

You fly low anyway...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have a bunch of nRF24L01 modules, the small cheap ones don't have a range of 50 meters. More like 25-30 meters, with a clear line of sight.

Good info. I'd have been very surprised if 1mW, 2.4Ghz devices would give reliable
50m range. And especially considering it sounds like the OP's app would probably
involve a lot of non-line-of-sight comms.

Edison Member
View Profile

To begin with something that works in simply 1 room like a class room etc would do just fine, cheers for the info i'll check out the nrl thingies, have a couple of arduino's hooked up and see where it takes me.. cheers

1.2km that's insane distance, the bit rate for me would be just fine the 9600 mark, i could easily send what i need in 50 - 100 bytes so not a problem i was just getting carried away with future idea's lol, but i was think, use a sweeping motion to your right or left to call up a preprogrammed spot which tells your friend with the glove that you're wanted, they could shake to remove that alert.. basically implementing a protocol for these gloves...

question, is, who would be interested in this type of thing?.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: