Go Down

Topic: bootloader problem with ATmega328P (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

daveitsme007

Hey, I bought a new ATmega328P because i short circuited my old chip due to carelessness. And now, I'm facing problem with uploading the bootloader. I've searched it for quiet a while, but none of them worked. The error I'm always encountering is "avrdude: stk500_getsync() : not in sync: resp=0x00".
I'm using a Arduino Duemilanove. I'm sure I have put the microcontroller on the board correctly. Need some help.
Thank You.

florinc

How are you trying to burn the bootloader? Are you using a programmer? Through ISP?

daveitsme007

using the breadboard technique on this link
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
I don't exactly know what a programmer means, I'm new to this stuff.

majenko

Have you:

1. Uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch to the Dualanimallove?
2. Selected the right target board in the IDE menu?
3. Selected the right bootloader in the IDE menu?
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

juan1920

Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 pm Last Edit: Jun 23, 2012, 11:38 pm by juan1920 Reason: 1
Hi Dave,
I suggest You try this way http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html It works very well for me with 328p
REgards,
JUan

CrossRoads

I agree, that method works great on a Duemilanove. Takes a while to get the software all set up.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

daveitsme007

When I try to upload the sketch, i get this error: avrdude: stk500_getsync() : not in sync: resp=0x00
Ya I have selected the correct board.
I'm not sure which programmer should i be selecting.

daveitsme007

Thank You. i ll try it that way and tell u if it works.

daveitsme007

I don't have pin headers near FT232R.. So i dont think i can proceed this way.. and other way?
I tried it this(shown in attachment) way and I'm getting that avrdude error.

majenko

You should be selecting "Arduino as ISP" from the "Programmer" sub-menu of "Tools".  For programming a '328P you should select "Arduino UNO" as the board.  The "Arduino ISP" sketch in the "Examples" menu should work perfectly - make sure that is loaded on to the Dualanimallove before you start.

daveitsme007

majenko,
Should i press upload after having that setup in my previous message? that is, the ATmega328P is not on the arduino board, but it is on the breadboard

juan1920

I don't have pin headers near FT232R.. So i dont think i can proceed this way.. and other way?
I tried it this(shown in attachment) way and I'm getting that avrdude error.

Hi Dave,
I had to solder a pin header on solder pad, same as explained on the guide. I think it deserve the work.
Regards,
Juan

daveitsme007

Juan,
I don't have any experience in soldering, I would prefer an other way.
Thanks

majenko

majenko,
Should i press upload after having that setup in my previous message? that is, the ATmega328P is not on the arduino board, but it is on the breadboard

First set the IDE to the board you are doing the programming with (Duemilanove), then upload the sketch.

Then, set the IDE to the board you want to program (Uno), and use "Burn Bootloader"

You will need a 16MHz crystal and associated capacitors on the breadboard.

daveitsme007

majenko, i have only one board i.e. Duemilanove. I am not able to upload the sketch onto the duemilanove as i'm getting the avrdude error message stated above.

Go Up