Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Issue installing leonardo drivers  (Read 14644 times)
Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Yea, when you plug it in, and windows is all AHHH CAN'T FIND DRIVERS! Go to browse my computer for drivers
go to arduino [version] folder.
drivers
and BAM! you are there, don't go any further. 

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

View Profile

I have exactly the same problem as clamon when trying to install drivers for the leonardo on my windows 7 64 bit machine.

Have also tried installing on an old xp laptop and this worked fine.

But I need to get it working on the windows 7 box.

Any ideas?

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

I have exactly the same problem as clamon when trying to install drivers for the leonardo on my windows 7 64 bit machine.

Have also tried installing on an old xp laptop and this worked fine.

But I need to get it working on the windows 7 box.

Any ideas?

I included a driver installer in this mod: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

It will detect the machine architecture and pre-install the drivers to the windows driver repository. So when you replug the leonardo it should be detected without pointing to driver files and stuff.

My website: http://ried.cl

View Profile

Thanks for the response eried. I downloaded your IDE and installed all the drivers. But when I plug in the leonardo Windows still does not find a driver.

At the bottom of the IDE screen it says 'Arduino Leonardo on COM1' but when uploading a sketch it doesn't find the board.

In the Tools menu the Serial Port option is greyed out.

So I am no further forward.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Windows still does not find a driver.

How do you know that? some error pops?

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Windows still does not find a driver.

How do you know that? some error pops?

Yes, when a driver isn't found, windows tells you.  You can't just plug it in and expect windows to find the driver itself.  You have to guide it for the leonardo.  When you plug it in, you should get a little icon in the bottom right saying "installing device drivers" or something like that.  When it can't find any, an error bubble should appear.  Click on it.  A window should appear.  After that, browse to wherever you have your arduino1.0.1 folder.  Go into its drivers folder and stop!  The drivers are in the drivers folder, not the ftdi folder thats in the driver folder.  Boom, its installing now.

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

California
God Member
View Profile

At the bottom of the IDE screen it says 'Arduino Leonardo on COM1' but when uploading a sketch it doesn't find the board.

You might want to get the Leonardo off of COM1.  Go to Ports and right click on the Leonardo and Properties.  Select the Port Settings tab and click the Advance... button.  In there, pull down the combo box and select an available Com port >=5.

Australia
Power up to your potential
View Profile

Another unhappy user here. Arduino Leonardo turned up last week and this is the first time trying to get it working with some shields. Haven't got close to attaching a shield yet. Installed the driver and when the reset button is pressed the Leonardo shows up as Windows COM7 under ports. I did manage to upload the blink sketch since it is so small but usually after pressing reset, the D13 or L light will breathe 13 times and then stop. When D13 stops breathing, the Leonardo becomes unknown again with a yellow exclamation mark in device manager. I amrunning a HP i7 laptop with Win7 64bit.

I saw that someone fixed their Leonardo by loading the driver twice, and someone else tried a short micro USB cable - my cable is 1.5m long. Someone else loaded the freetronics driver for a leostick which is a leonardo clone.

So, it seems the Mega2560 doesn't work and neither does the Leonardo, so I guess Arduino figures that 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Anyway, didn't come here for this but figire we might as well plug Simulator for Arduino which may not be perfect but works a lot better than our Arduino Leonardo does. Any advice on the Leonardo would be much appreciated especially if it helps bring it back to life. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:35:40 am by Shields_Arduino » Logged

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

The Leonardo does identify itself as two different serial devices, depending on what mode it it in.

There is a different USB ID for bootloader mode and another for normal mode.

Here are the USB IDs from the Arduino Leonardo.inf:

%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_2341&PID_0036
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_2341&PID_8036&MI_00

Since I do not have a Leonardo to check, I am not sure which is which.

Anyway, when you see the Leonardo with the exclamation in device manager, go to properties, details and look at the Hardware IDs.

Make sure the Hardware ID matches one of the ones listed above.

If so, then try to update the driver again by pointing it at the Arduino\Drivers folder.

Australia
View Profile

Yes, those IDs match up with what is shown in Device Manager. The 0x8036 is when in bootloader or breathe mode. Strangely enough, I took the Leonardo into another work place this morning and the Leonardo installed fine on all 4 COM ports. This is also a HP Win7 64bit PC but this one is a desktop. The computer which had problems with the Leonardo is a Laptop, so maybe there is some power saving going on. I used the same cable so that is not the problem.

On the laptop, the driver cannot be reinstalled - Windows gives some error message.

California
God Member
View Profile

Try this if you have one.  Try plugging Leonardo into a USB hub on the Laptop.  I have a harder time "flipping" between serial and HID when hooked up to the USB root, but the "flipping" is a little cleaner with the USB hub.  It still sucks eggs on serial communications though.  This is WinXP.  I am able to upload sketches, just can not USB2TTL with XP.

My Vista machine has no problems.

Australia
View Profile

Still going on a different computer now running Win7 32 bit. I have the Leonardo installed as COM41 on one USB port and COM42 on another USB port, but neither are working. If I press reset at the right time, the program seems to load and the LCD display shows the first second of the program but then the Leonardo resets.

Have tried the USB hub, but then the Leonardo appears as an unknown device under the hub and the driver cannot be installed.

Any more help would be much appreciated - it can't be this hard.

Also, with the Windows computer which worked, I haven't tried to upload a sketch yet.

There seem to be two modes - RX light stuck on and breathe mode where the L light cycles on and off gradually.

Also, tried this method (see 2nd last post by mellis) of holding the reset button down until uploading appears but still no go.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:18:40 am by Shields_Arduino » Logged

blink. blink. blink. blink. blink.
View Profile

Confirming what Clamon and others have said, there does seem to be an issue with Leonardo drivers on a few specific models of Dell and, apparently, HP laptops.  I'm working with one community member now to track down the bug and hope to have a fix soon.

View Profile

Thank you very much zeveland, let us know if a solution is found.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Confirming what Clamon and others have said, there does seem to be an issue with Leonardo drivers on a few specific models of Dell and, apparently, HP laptops.  I'm working with one community member now to track down the bug and hope to have a fix soon.

Hey and what is the possible origin of the problem?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: