Go Down

Topic: inter-arduino communication (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hi all, First post on the forum but been using it for info for a while. Brilliant!

Anyway, i'm starting to develop a simple home automation system. so far i've started to look at how i'm gonna send messages to the slave arduino's from the master. So obviously i'm gonna need addressing, and a protocol of some sort. this is what i've got so far, using the messenger library.

// This example sets all the values of the digital pins with a list through a callback function

#include <Messenger.h>
// Instantiate Messenger object with the default separator (the space character)
Messenger message = Messenger();
int LEDpin = 13;
// Create the callback function
void messageReady() {
   int i = 0;
   int tempstr = 0;
   int startBit = 9;
   int userInput[2];
      // Loop through all the available elements of the message
      while ( message.available() ) {
     for(i = 0; i<3; i++) {
           userInput = message.readInt();
       if (userInput[0] == startBit) {
         switch (userInput[1]) {
           case 1:
                 if(userInput[2] <2) {
           case 2:
               Serial.print("Not Understood");
       else {

void setup() {
 // Initiate Serial Communication
 // Attach the callback function to the Messenger

void loop() {
 // The following line is the most effective way of using Serial and Messenger's callback
 while ( Serial.available() )  message.process(Serial.read () );

What do you think? basically i send a "9" as a start bit, then it looks at the next bit to decide where the message is destined, i.e arduino 1 or 2. Then it looks at the last valule to decide what to do. adding another bit on the end could allow for more flexibility. Anyway, is there a better way to do this that using switch/case?

Any info or help will be very gratefully recieved!!!

I suggest using hex values for start bits and so on. Like 0xF0 (use the hex of a wierd ascii character u never use). Hex works faster in computer world. And easier to work with.

ok thanks, how do i send a hex code? is it just a case of sending:

or do i need to do something else?

both 9 and 0xFF are 1 byte of data so I don't agree that one is faster than the other. I do agree with the rest of what Intosia said.

int startBit=9;

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131