Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Ideas you'll never finish  (Read 1822 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

of them! So far I haven't made anything I would call finish, finish like in totally 100% done and not possible to make better.
Well I have finished things but every so often I like to go back an modify it and change things to make it better.  smiley-wink

I don't think anything's ever completely finished.

Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile

Everything! I'm really bad at finishing things.  I've spent years saying if I had a clone who had been adjusted to enjoy finishing projects as much as I enjoy starting them we'd be unstopable!

some ongoing projects:
  • Homemade data projector. Got an OHP, got an old laptop. Never quite got round to making it.
  • Airfix. I thought I'd give airfix a go.  Bought an RAF over the years kit of five or six models. Built the first (smallest) one, never got round to putting the decals on.
  • Clock. Recently made a clock thing, intended to tidy the back up so it's not obvious and the power light doesn't show. Never bothered (though at least the clock works).

I could go on forever.  In fact, I think the only thing I've finished to my satisfaction was a blog for a friend. She asked for it on Sunday and I finished it last night - she nearly died when I told her it was done. After I went to bed last night I kept thinking of adjustments I should make smiley-sad
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:12:52 am by cowjam » Logged

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
I'm confused.  Wait, maybe not..
View Profile

On the OSX debate:

I've just never found Apple operating systems to be as "Intuitive" as they claim.  Plus the over-priced hardware, OBNOXIOUS ad campaign, and just my overall dislike of Steve Jobs have probably led me to this conclusion smiley-razz.

Plus the fact that they just released a piece of outdated technology for more than something that's up-to-date is shockingly frustrating.  Not to mention all the fanboys who ran in line and drank the metaphorical koolaid.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:56:09 pm by Tchnclfl » Logged

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The slimmed-down-Lua interpreter for Arduino.

All going great... until I got bored and decided I didn't really need it anyway.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I have a teaching equipment idea and put it on a breadboard. But I was dreaded because I wanted to hook up 16 LEDs on a circle with some coils around the circle. Too many wires to connect, different lengths. Have to make a nice housing for the 16 LEDs. Ahh. Now a part of it is still sitting on my main breadboard. I moved on to a photogate shield and actually got it on PCB and tested it. It worked. I consider this shield finished. I will however make an updated version with just atmega328 chip and support parts to skip out the duemilanove board for lower cost. Wish me good luck on it. I think that unfinished project was my first arduino project. Hope to get a closure on it still.

Nowhere
God Member
|-\ |\|\
View Profile

My arduino powered model of the Voyager 1.  Unforunately it isn't very aerodynamic, and I broke some parts because of a short circuit and other technologic errors.  (I'm human, after all).  I tried fixing it and flying it one more time, but it only got a fraction of the way around the world before crashing and burnin'.
Oh yeah, and I also was working on an arduino steam machine, sort of a steampunk robot.  More like robot rock, it sorta just sat there, not at all alive.
Another idea that totally failed were my remote nightvision goggles, but the cables were too long and there was a ton of noisy data sent.  Even the on/off switch didn't work!

;D  See what I did there?

Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/beefinator14
Old soundcloud page (ran out o

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

My electric pogo unicycle.  I hope I never finish it .. because I won't last long after it is done.   Plus I can't figure out how to make it jump without sending the family jewels for a free ride into my stomach.

So on that note, I have a couple of air shock pogo sticks I'll never convert to electromagnetic nut smashers if anyone is looking for parts for there very own death machine....

Darlington, UK
Shaamo
View Profile

My electric pogo unicycle.  I hope I never finish it .. because I won't last long after it is done.   Plus I can't figure out how to make it jump without sending the family jewels for a free ride into my stomach.

So on that note, I have a couple of air shock pogo sticks I'll never convert to electromagnetic nut smashers if anyone is looking for parts for there very own death machine....

That made me laugh...  smiley-grin

Arduino rocks
View Profile

anything that requires an enclosure ... until i buy a cnc router ... which will be never at current prices!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hoverboard

i got a board but no matter how often i drop it the bugger just won't hover

flux capacitor

i've got some flux and a capacitor but i just don't know how to combine the two

fusion reactor

my prototype seems to work but i just can't see any applications for it, am i missing something?

Vermont, USA
ElectroMech
View Profile

i've got some flux and a capacitor but i just don't know how to combine the two

;D

As for projects I'll never finish.. I finish projects, to an extent I am happy with, every so often. The problem is that I am too cheap to leave my precious components(micros, ICs, capacitors, resistors, wires, tape...) forever devoted to one project. I always take my projects apart and reuse their parts. I guess it's because most of my projects are more of a technical exercise(just to see if I could) than permanent designs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:18:31 pm by prs09210 » Logged

Nowhere
God Member
|-\ |\|\
View Profile

As for projects I'll never finish.. I finish projects, to an extent I am happy with, every so often. The problem is that I am too cheap to leave my precious components(micros, ICs, capacitors, resistors, wires, tape...) forever devoted to one project. I always take my projects apart and reuse their parts. I guess it's because most of my projects are more of a technical exercise(just to see if I could) than permanent designs.

Same here.
I just finished my first "permanent" project (my sequencer), and I still have it built so I can remove the duemilanove.  I say permanent in quotes because I built it to be easily reprogrammable, so it isn't really permanent, and I have just recently decided to rebuild it!

Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/beefinator14
Old soundcloud page (ran out o

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

The problem is that I am too cheap to leave my precious components(micros, ICs, capacitors, resistors, wires, tape...) forever devoted to one project. I always take my projects apart and reuse their parts. I guess it's because most of my projects are more of a technical exercise(just to see if I could) than permanent designs.
Same here!

There is only one project so far that I have 'finished' and is intending to stay how it is (might be improved in the future) but even in that, although I used an arduino pro, I stuck headers on it so I could remove the whole board if necessary.

For my typewriter which I am currently working on, when it gets finished I will be trying to force myself to build up my own homemade board so that it will stay as a completed project!

There are too many nice boards around which are very nice for prototyping but a bit expensive to stick in a project for ever.

Mowcius

Arduino rocks
View Profile

For my typewriter which I am currently working on

Ooh I've had a few ideas for a typewriter. What you up to? If you care to share.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I just finished my first "permanent" project (my sequencer)

I've begun an Arduino based sequencer. I'd be interested to see what you've done. Here's a pic of the first build that's primarily for developing the software and UI. I'm an Adobe Flash developer so I've been able to develop a software based prototype quite quickly. I'm hoping the port to C++ (using Eclipse/AVR) shouldn't take too long

I wanted to take things a little further than a simple step sequencer, hence the 4 x 4 pad etc, but not only in terms of hardware but also software. Stuff like locking a sequence to a scale or mode, TR-XOX grid programming as well as step sequencing and also bring out the performance aspect of a sequencer ... all up for grabs at the moment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: