Go Down

Topic: the future of arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

JJC114

Any way, the age of a chip is not really an issue - I know it is slightly different but look at the 555 timer - introduced in 1972 and still the simplest timer chip on the market - OK, it may not be that precise or accurate and there are more accurate ones around - but they are difficult to use and no real competition to the 555 which is still used for lots of projects where the time does not have to be exact. The other advantage of this chip is price. They can be as little as £0.30 ($0.46).

I think that most of these points also apply to this issue

MichaelMeissner

The Raspberry Pi is not suitable for about 80% of projects we do with the arduino because while it might be able to do more instructions per second, it is not running in real time because of the operating system.

Nothing says you have to run a general purpose Linux on the R-pi.  I could imagine putting a real-time OS or even no OS on it.  It is just somebody has to create the framework to use it.  I could imagine if there is desire to do R-pi in hard or soft real time environments, people will start with the Linux kernel and make suitable improvements.  Given R-pi has started shipping, I would expect to see R-pi real time improvements in the future.

There are also quite a few commercial vendors of real time OSes for ARM.  Many of which are likely too expensive for the hobby programmer.

AWOL

I can imagine putting a real time OS on it, but not no OS.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Grumpy_Mike

I would expect to see R-pi real time improvements in the future.

Getting what they have to actually work would be an improvement.
To get the best you will have to abandon Linux altogether. The RISCOS porting project offers the most promise at the moment. While it is not real time the interrupts can easly be turned off with that.

Go Up