Go Down

Topic: How to send a reset request from C# like Arduino 1.0 IDE? (Read 950 times) previous topic - next topic

d0773d

I created a Serial read/write in C#.  I would like to add the Arduino reset feature to my C# application like the Arduino 1.0 IDE serial application does on start-up and exit.  Does anyone have an example that I could work from?

d0773d

I got it working in about 5 minutes by hooking up a wire from PWM Port12 to the RESET Port.  On the Arduino I checked for the text RESET on the incoming SerialEvent3.  When RESET is found do: pinMode(7, OUTPUT);  digitalWrite(7, LOW);  As for as the C# it was as simple as:
if (serialPort1.IsOpen) { serialPort1.Write("RESET"); }.  Reset seems to work as expected.

d0773d

An even better approach is configure  serial1.DtrEnable = true; in c#.

retrolefty

I got it working in about 5 minutes by hooking up a wire from PWM Port12 to the RESET Port.  On the Arduino I checked for the text RESET on the incoming SerialEvent3.  When RESET is found do: pinMode(7, OUTPUT);  digitalWrite(7, LOW);  As for as the C# it was as simple as:
if (serialPort1.IsOpen) { serialPort1.Write("RESET"); }.  Reset seems to work as expected.

The AVR datasheet and related application notes are pretty clear that driving the reset pin from a digital output pin is not recommended practice and can result in incomplete hardware reset function. Upon reset first all I/O pins are  defaulted to input mode thus removing the active low reset signal. This results in a reset pulse width too narrow to accomplish a full proper reset. So use at your own risk but it's something the chip manufacture explicitly states you should not do.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy