Go Down

Topic: multitasking with a GPRS shield (Read 873 times) previous topic - next topic

fnsnoop

I have my GPRS module sending data to my server correctly however there is so much latency in its responses, i cannot read data from my sensors on another uart.  Has anybody else experienced this?

NI$HANT

use software serial, and there has to be latency because till the module connects with the service it can't do any good to you it has to connect so that it fullfills your requests.
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

fnsnoop

i have multiple serial ports on my arduino mega.  My concern is that when i send data out to a remote server, there are multisecond delays occurring.  I have to pull data from other sources while these delays happen.  I have not really seen any examples with this happening. 

NI$HANT

The AT command send when gives instruction then at the other side its not just the module gets the instructions and those instructions are directly fullfilled HOW it actually works is like after you give a specific AT command based on the service you seek its instructed to the GSM module ASAP but then the GSM needs to connect to the network and then break up things in small chunks and process them also the biggest lag is that GSM needs to connect to the service provider NOW that's going to happen always.

I will suggest you upon my experience that if you are seeking the fastest way to communicate using the GSM shield is to go folllowing ways with the top one listed fastest:

1) SMS
2) calling
3) GPRS

so sms is the fastest and the GPRS is the slowest due to TCP/IP stack processing needed.

I have utilised SparkFun's SMB5100(Sucks! + too costly) and also the NOT NOW OUT Exclusive Telefonica GSM/GPRS official shield from Arduino.
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

pylon

I guess you're communicating with your GSM module using the serial (UART) interface. There's nobody holding you back to change your code that way that you send a command to your GSM shield and do other stuff while it's processing it. After a while go and look if it has an answer for you and go on doing other stuff if it hasn't. You don't have to wait for your shield to complete it's task before you can do other stuff.

Go Up