Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: 74hc595 oe pin not working  (Read 941 times)
Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You can get Anything you want... if you know where and in some case's how to ask... Electronics components... Certainly ANYTHING you could find in a catalog... Bare 100W LED's, $26.95, Free Shipping... All Day Long, ( $59.00 with the CC driver )... GREAT Project for an Arduino, a 100 W LED Dimmer, uses a 74HC595 and some small sensing resistors...

Doc
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:12:01 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

USA
View Profile

Earlier today, I wrote:
If you promise to send me the two "bad-out-of-the-box" 74HC595's, I'll tell you how to get the other three to work.

Then some other clown said:
haha, and if you cant figure that out you can send me the other 3 ...

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm thinking that somebody doesn't take me seriously here.

Here's what I think is going on:  you're driving the one LED that doesn't work from pin 9 of the74HC595.  Pin 9 is called "QH'" in this datasheet - http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/IC/SN74HC595.pdf - and its function is "serial data out."  The logic and timing diagrams show that it's not affected by OE, and it doesn't have a high impedance state.  If you drive an LED from this pin, you can't control it by pulsing OE.

I think that you want to drive that LED with pin 7, "QH," whose function is "parallel data out #7."  Pin 7 responds to OE just like the other seven parallel data pins.

Did that fix it?  Are you going to send my my shift registers?

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Good Call Really good. and more likely than my ideas about pull ups (was the mistake I made the most often, thinking that the processor was in a known state and letting it control the bus line instead of insuring that just in case it is in a known state)

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: