Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATMEGA 32  (Read 526 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

HI

I have a battery charger that gave up the ghost, and i pulled it apart to re-use one of the lcd screens in it (its a 4 way charger, basically 4 chargers in one case)

looking at the board I saw a 16.000 crystal on each charger, then proceeded to see a atmega 32 on each charger, and wondered if
A: I can use the atmega 32 as an arduino,

and

B: is there a way of reading what is on the chip ? I have noticed that the last 4 chargers i have had are all the same menu system and specs, it makes me think they either all come from the same place, or someone has copied their programming, I would like to look at it if possible,

well, if anyone knows the answers i woudl be happy to see a reply,
thanks,

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

B. You might be able to read the contents back if the lock bits were not set to prevent reading them back.
If you could, you would get a series of hex numbers back that would not be usable.
You might be able to Dis-assemble that and then have assembly code listing.

A. Perhaps. You would likely need a High Voltage (just 12V) to unlock the chip so you could re-program it.
If you check
http://www.avr-developers.com/ (if I spelled that right)
there are probably core files to support the chip.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

i have been looking at the general board layout, there is a multiplexer on the serial pins,
what the heck does that do ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I imagine it would let the device communicate with multiple serial device without interference?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

its a bit wierd, it looks as if there is a transistor on one of the pins for the multiplexer, maybe it is just powering it, but the transistor is part of the circuit which reads the inputs for the 6 different cells being charged,

but off of the multiplexer i did also trace the tracks to some unpopulated headers, so i bet that is where they plug into the board to program it,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: