Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Communication between XBEE Pro 900s  (Read 537 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone,

I am stumped on communicating between two XBEE PRO 900 modules. I have set up both modules using X-CTU so that they are using the same PAN ID and same hopping channel. I have set up one as a coordinator and one as a end device. Neither of them are set up to use API mode. I don't have any problems writing the configuration to the XBEE's so I assume they are correctly wired. I have them both on bread boards, one is connected to the Sparkfun FTDI cable and the other is connected to an Arduino. I have set up a very basic Arduino sketch which just has a set of Serial.Write commands looping through with a delay at the end. Nothing is every received on the other end. Nothing shows up on the serial monitor and the RSSI light never blinks. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thank you,

Chris

View Profile

Got exactly the same problem here. Did you manage to get them working together?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I have them both on bread boards
Which tells us NOTHING about how they are wired.

View Profile

Technically yes, but I doubt I'll be of much help. Shortly after I posted the message I gave up for a few months, but ended up trying a few weeks ago and was able to establish a link. Haven't tried it a second time though, so I can't promise it's a repeatable solution. I'm worried that they are extremely picky and reset themselves a lot.

To get it working all I did was hit the Reset to Factory Defaults button in X-CTU. I then set the PAN ID and Hopping channel on both to be the same just like last time. The one thing I didn't do this time was set up a coordinator and end device, I just left it at the default. This magically got it to work. I also tried it with and without putting in the serial number of the other device, and it worked both ways. If I remember correctly I had some noise if I didn't put in the other serial number, so I would recommend that.

Goodluck with yours, let me know how it goes and I can try to help if you have more problems. I'll also post more details when I try using mine again.

-Chris

View Profile

That's true. I didn't think that the circuit was the issue. Here is what I have connected if you think that is the problems.

Pin 1 - Power
Pin 2 - Goes to RX on the Arduino/FTDI cable
Pin 3 - Goes to TX on the Arduino/FTDI cable
Pin 4 - NC
Pin 5 - NC
Pin 6 - LED
Pin 7 - NC
Pin 8 - NC
Pin 9 - GND
Pin 10 -  GND

Pin 11 - 20 - NC (unless LEDS would cause problems)

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Pin 1 - Power
Well, that is not quite all we need to know. WHAT is providing the power? Some wimpy-assed 9V battery or a 20Amp power supply? What voltage?

Pin 11 - 20 - NC (unless LEDS would cause problems)
Are they connected or not? If there is nothing connected, an LED (with current limiting resistor) laying on the table next to the XBee is not going to cause problems. If there is something connected, it would be nice (read that as essential) to know how the XBee is configured.

View Profile

No offense, but i would almost rather not get help then get it the way you are giving it. If you need more information please just ask for it. If you dem that I am too slow to be worth helping then please dont bother, and I will continue to struggle and research until I get it working on my own.

That being said, one is being powered through the ftdi cable so usb. The other is being powered from the 3.3 volt port on the Arduino.

I have tried having them connected and disconnected, more useful information would be if the having leds attached could cause problems. They were only attached to the on and sleep pins, i dont know the pin numbers right noww.

Chris

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The other is being powered from the 3.3 volt port on the Arduino.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno
3V3. A 3.3 volt supply generated by the on-board regulator. Maximum current draw is 50 mA.

http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/zigbee-rf-modules/zigbee-mesh-module/xbee-digimesh-900#specs
Transmit Current    210 mA
Receive Current    80 mA

I sense a problem, here.

View Profile

Thanks, I'm really not sure why I didn't spot that. I knew I needed over 200 mA but I guess I never checked the current capabilities of the Arduino.

I will give this a shot at some point and see if it makes the connection more reliable.

Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: