Go Down

Topic: HC-SR04 for underwater use (Read 2158 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi, i am baking a arduino-boat, and it would like to mesure the depth under my boat, with a really max depth of 2m. i wanted to put it in a small waterproof box, but il will probably stop the sound and give a distance of 0cm. do you think if it could work if i write my own function with experimentals values? or most of the sound will be stoped by my box, and i wouldnt be able to measure anything?
Any ideas?
thanks for giving tips!

AWOL

I think the coupling to the water will be very poor, and you'd have to adjust for the faster speed of sound in water.
I very much doubt you'd get anything like two metre range.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

and do you have any other ideas for a cheap sensor wich could do it?
I thought about ir but they have small range...

pylon

AWOL

Jun 30, 2012, 07:22 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2012, 07:26 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
Fishfinder transducer?
It's a pity the operating frequency doesn't match, or you could try unsoldering the transducer from an air sonar unit, and replacing it with a water one.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

arkadiraf

Hi, I was thinking about a similar project, using the sensor as it is won`t work for sure. (or 99%) my plan was to create a custom sonar sensor using the famous piezzo drum discs, but it require some additional circuits and complicated signal processing so i have dropped the idea for now. what is may be possible but haven`t got to it yet and probably not in the close future, is to disamble the hc-sr04 sensor and use its board and actuators separately. sinking the transmitter/receiver as they are underwater (will be damaged by corosion but as long as it is not sea water shouldn't short circuit).

another option is just to buy a waterproof sonar seen one on ebay for 15$

anyway take in count that underwater the speed of sound is different and has different decay, so results will differ (don`t remember numbers).

hope you will have some results to share :)
good luck.

Hi, i really doesnt need great precision, so it can be a little bit homemade! And for the sound spped underwater i think you can make some ties and just rescaled your values when you have build something. I think that just put  HC-SR04 like that underwater will destroy it really really quickly.
But maybe a simple varnish layer will be enough to make it waterproof without stopping that much the sound!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy