Go Down

Topic: Option to bypass "Processing -> C++" pre-processor (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

you can do pretty-much anything.

So you can define your own classes in a pde/ino file? As I say, I never tried, but I was under the impression you had to create a seperate .cpp file to do that.

Whatever it is, it really aint C++ if you can't define classes.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Nick Gammon

Well you can, as this illustrates:

Code: [Select]
typedef class
  {
  public:
    int bar;
  } tFoo;

tFoo a;

void handler ()
  {
  a.bar = 42; 
  }

void setup ()
{
  handler ();
}

void loop () {}

However there is a problem if you try to pass your own defined class to a function, because of the automatic function prototype generation, which puts the prototypes before where the type is defined.

I just raised a bug report about that a few minutes ago:

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=973

On the bright side, if I may say without sounding pompous, most people who define a class in C++ would put it into its own .h files. That is really where class definitions belong. Then they can be shared between multiple .cpp files. You can do that under the Arduino IDE (making a new tab), it compiles correctly, and is easy to work with.

Whatever it is, it really aint C++ if you can't define classes.

Yep, you can define classes.

pico

OK, I suppose I should have said define *and* use. LOL.

Sort of like a write-only memory device. ;-)

In any case, I'm glad to be in C++. No questions of "pretty much" or "bug reports".

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

pico

most people who define a class in C++ would put it into its own .h files. That is really where class definitions belong.

I would disagree. Or say that if indeed most people are doing it this way, they are doing it wrong. You put the declarations (basically, prototypes for the class methods) into a .h file, but the the source for the methods is in a .cpp file. You definitely *don't* want this included in every file that simply want to use a class!

Nick Gammon

OK, I suppose I should have said define *and* use. LOL.

My example used the class. It compiles.

You put the declarations (basically, prototypes for the class methods) into a .h file, but the the source for the methods is in a .cpp file. You definitely *don't* want this included in every file that simply want to use a class!

I don't get your point here. You put the definition in a .h file. You can put the implementation into the .ino file, or make another .cpp tab for it. Probably neater to put it into a separate file. So say you want implement class foo, you make foo.h and foo.cpp. What is the major problem with that?

In any case, I'm glad to be in C++. No questions of "pretty much" or "bug reports".

Right. So C++ has no bug reports?

But I've come across weirder and harder to understand (and therefore workaround) bugs -- most recently I had some code that would throw up spurious errors (some name collision of some sort going on under the hood, I suspect), but _would_ compile without error when the offending code was placed in a seperate .h file and then inlined in the sketch in the same place via a #include directive.

That just about did it for me.

Perhaps you should calm down and post the code in question, and try to understand the techniques required to work around any issues you have. The IDE has some idiosyncrasies, designed to make things easier for beginners. Now you can throw out the whole lot, and move to a pure avr-gcc environment, or keep the friendliness of the IDE and develop strategies for avoiding the issues that friendliness causes.

Go Up