Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using fuses to limit current (how to select values)?  (Read 1217 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm surprised: the cable I bought was being sold as an "extension cable", and was labelled that way on the box. I'd expect that a cable intended to be cut into two would have twisted the leads so each distinct pin would have the same colour wire going to it.

Interestingly, if I'm wrong, then others are as well:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/516251450/SAE_2_Pin_Extension.html
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47965-2-Pole-Flat-Extension/dp/B0002Q80RW

I'm learning way more in this thread than I though! :-)

As for caravan vs trailer - I understand these kinds of cables are used more for the type of vehicle that tows boats, rather than rooms in which to camp. I'd call that a boat trailer - not sure what others would :-)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:31:01 am by AndyCC » Logged

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm surprised: the cable I bought was being sold as an "extension cable", and was labelled that way on the box.
Well, I suppose it could be used as an extension but you would need a whole lot of them to do any real extending.

I'd expect that a cable intended to be cut into two would have twisted the leads so each distinct pin would have the same colour wire going to it.
No.  When mated you want the same color leads connected to each other so one red lead has to be female and the other has to be male.  The same goes for the black lead.

Think about the situation where you have finished using your trailer/caravan and have disconnected it.  You now have two connectors dangling, one from your car and the other from your trailer.  The car connector is still connected to the car battery but since the red (hot) pin is insulated nothing will happen if that connector accidentally hits the frame.  The trailer has no battery so there is no problem if its uninsulated red pin hits the frame.

Don
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:50:24 am by floresta » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: