Go Down

Topic: Multithreading with Arduino Uno/Mega (Read 3041 times) previous topic - next topic

MikeDeKlerk

Hi All,

Multithreading / multitasking in general is very useful. You can run multiple things 'simultaneously' while keeping your code nicely seperated (no spaghetti code).
I have attached a working example (I compiled with toolchain of Atmel Studio 6).

It runs two threads, prints out something over serial connection and blinks the onboard led. It uses AtomThreads (http://atomthreads.com/). It uses a preemptive schedular (apparently).
NOTICE: AtMega2560 has port 7 tied to the on board led instead of port 5. (So change PORTB ^= (1 << 5); to PORTB ^= (1 << 7); for arduino mega).

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Cheers.

ProfePaco

that's very interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

rukna

Just started looking into multi-threading when I stumbled upon your post. Thanks for sharing! Will give it a shot with my Mega.

Only downside is that the Atmel Studio runs on a Windows platform and I just got comfortable using the Arduino IDE on my OSX :) No big deal tho.

florinc

Why would you use multi-threading on Arduino?
Do you see a practical application for it?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy