Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: "knockoff" arduinos  (Read 1198 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I realize Arduino is open source, but I wonder how wary i should be about imitations found online, like this mega for $25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-2560-16AU-ATmega8U2-Board-compatible-Arduino-IDE-WITH-Free-USB-Cable-/140785942800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c77f0110#ht_977wt_952.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

How are your SMD soldering skills... http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,112615.0.html

At least the return policy is favourable: "Refund will be given as ... Money back or item exchange (buyer's choice)".  Except that you are on the hook for the return shipment if the board is defective: "Return shipping ... Buyer pays return shipping".

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I realize Arduino is open source, but I wonder how wary i should be about imitations found online, like this mega for $25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-2560-16AU-ATmega8U2-Board-compatible-Arduino-IDE-WITH-Free-USB-Cable-/140785942800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c77f0110#ht_977wt_952.
They may be perfectly fine or they may have manufacturing faults.  It's a risk.  If you can afford a genuine Arduino it carries a much lower risk AND it supports the community.

At least that vendor doesn't put the Arduino trademark on their board (at least not on the side they show).  Many do their best to duplicate all the markings, including trademarks.

I find most amusing the ones that only change the "Made In Italy" text to "Designed In Italy".  smiley

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Atlanta
View Profile

SO FAR . . .   I've had no problems buying Chinese equivalents apart from having to download drivers for cheap USB chips they use, they may say they're 20pu chips but when they arrive, they're different

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

When I want a pre-made board, I purchase a Genuine board to support the community and to reduce my hassle time.  If I'm going to risk troubleshooting something to save a few bucks, I rather make my own board.  At least I learn something in the process.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I find most amusing the ones that only change the "Made In Italy" text to "Designed In Italy".  smiley

Probably to get through U.S. Customs.  Lying about the country of origin can get your stuff confiscated.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you use paypal you have some power to get the board replaced if defective. That vendor appears to be located in the US.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

arduindo, from Indonesia!

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

arduino, from Indonesia!

Is that bad news or good news? Ever own an Italian car?  smiley

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Santa Fe
View Profile

I bought a couple of Arduino clones from GoodLuckBuy for $19. The boards were pretty awesome... had both mail and female headers, BRIGHT! LED's same footprint... Looked better than the real thing.

All went well till I tried to download a script with the 1.0 IDE. NO GO! It worked fine with 2.1.

I'm not sure what changed between the revs but the clone was not recognized by 1.0.

I Changed chips and everything, but it would not download. Maybe the UART??? I decided to keep them, since my code doesn't require 1.0.

So Watch out.

View Profile

@zoomcat -What kind of quote is that? I said arduindo, not arduino. That's for indo.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@zoomcat -What kind of quote is that? I said arduindo, not arduino. That's for indo.

Oh, like ardubutto!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: