Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Chatroom on the Arduino Website?  (Read 2680 times)
Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

c) No. For all the reasons above, and the last thing we need is something else to slow the site down. It's struggling enough as it is.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

No from me as well; for the above reasons, and as well because inevitably people will start going into chat, or bugging others for chat, to ask and answer quick questions/problems (because for some reason, patience is considered too much for some people), and then we'll get forum postings that mention something about "I tried this or that as recommended in a chat last night, etc" - context will be lost. Or we'll have more of the dreaded endings to threads of "Ok, I got it fixed thanks to chatting with XYZ - thanks guyz!" - with no message saying what the solution was, leading other people with the same problem ticked off to no end (that happens now, like it does in all forums, but I would bet with chat it would be even worse).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

Ie. no chat room. More channels just dilutes - less people see and potentialy answer a given question.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I hate them, when I get onto facebook I get off real quick in case someone notices me and starts chatting. Then it's 30 minutes of "What U doing?" until I can think of an excuse to sign off.

That said I used one once to help a friend debug a problem and the fast turnaround was very useful.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Ie. no chat room. More channels just dilutes - less people see and potentialy answer a given question.
The issue here is there are generally over 300 people in the unofficial #arduino channel on freenode.  This is because many people are going there for help first.  My experience has been, most of the people in the channel have never visited the forums.  Rarely do I see a "cross-question" between the two.

So artificially limiting the methods people get help isn't very effective.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

Interesting JamesC4D; would you say you are part of the minority that uses both sites?

I was not saying "limiting" - I was saying "not expanding".

But, you have a point. The Chat-oholics fret at the pedastrian pace of the forum, and the forum-nerds get disturbed by the chats going off -topic... smiley I am not anti-chat per se; althogh I only rarly use them (IRC in this case)

If there already is a well functioning chat channel, then there is no need for another one to be created here.

UK
Loopy loops. And check for ;'s
View Profile

If there already is a well functioning chat channel, then there is no need for another one to be created here.

Rather the opposite: many of us on #arduino@freenode.net have been pushing for the integration of the channel with the rest of the arduino community, and to become "official". You can read more here: http://pastebin.com/ydHQdTks (an open letter written by the channel, and in the topic). Unfortunately, we've yet to have a definitive response.

For everyone:

I know that some people on the forum, such as yotson, have brought up this topic before.

The channel itself is rather friendly, and we are fairly relaxed about topic, and as a result, we are also able to answer on a wide range of topics, as there is always someone we know who has experience or an interest in that field. Also, because of the immediate nature, we can often solve issues in a matter of seconds. (For example, I've just helped mirror the IDE for someone who couldn't reach the main release through the site).

Long story short - come visit us, and if you like us, please stay and support us!

</shameless plug>

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

come visit us
How, I went to freenode.net but could not find any way to sign up or anything and a search for Arduino came up blank.

I should add that I have about a 5-second tolerance of such things, if there isn't a great big SIGN UP button I'm outta there smiley

One thing about the forum is that answers are recorded for posterity, is that the case with chatrooms? Or is the great solution you gave someone lost for the next person with the same problem.

______
Rob

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

come visit us
How, I went to freenode.net but could not find any way to sign up or anything and a search for Arduino came up blank.

Google IRC

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

International Rescue Committee
Intercontinental Rally Challenge
International Resistive Company
International Water and Sanitation Centre
Industrial Relations Commission

Hang on, here it is, Internet Relay Chat.

I've downloaded mIRC and am looking at #Arduino as I type.

______
Rob

UK
Loopy loops. And check for ;'s
View Profile

There are two ways to jump in:

1) (the best way) Get a client such as XChat, irssi (terminal only), or mIRC, then connect to freenode.net, then /join #arduino

2) (the easy way) Use this link to connect via freenode's online gateway webchat.freenode.net/?channels=arduino

For reference: IRC does not require a sign up, though, you may wish to do so to keep sole ownership on your nick, otherwise it's a case of first-come-first-served. You can do this by logging in as normal, then "/msg NickServ help register". Also, "/join #freenode" for network help.

Channels are not recorded by freenode, it is up to the channels to decide whether they are logged or not. There is no official logging on #arduino, however, many people (myself included) keep personal logs for our own reference. There may also be bots equivalent to a google crawler which join channels, note the topic-text, and log discussion for archives and search engines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:12:20 pm by AbstractBeliefs » Logged

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

One thing about the forum is that answers are recorded for posterity, is that the case with chatrooms? Or is the great solution you gave someone lost for the next person with the same problem.
People still ask AND answer repeat questions, even though forum posts are "recorded."  If those conversations aren't happening on the forum anyway, why does it matter?  They are lost to be not recorded already.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: