Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to connect potentiometer!  (Read 492 times)
So, you want to make something, huh?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm having difficulty finding how to connect a potentiometer. In circuits potentiometer has only 2 pins like a resistor, however in real life it has 3 pins. Please help me!

If you want to meet a beautiful nurse you must be patient.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Potentiometer

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

In circuits potentiometer has only 2 pins like a resistor
It may be that the potentiometer is intended to be wired as a variable resistor, and not a potential divider, but without seeing the circuit, it is difficult to know (hint).

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

In circuits potentiometer has only 2 pins like a resistor
It may be that the potentiometer is intended to be wired as a variable resistor, and not a potential divider, but without seeing the circuit, it is difficult to know (hint).

I know how to connect a pot meter to arduino, but my doubt is about connecting it in normal circuits. For example the second circuit found on this web page http://www.buildcircuit.com/darklight-sensor-using-transistor/

View Profile

Never mind I figured it out. To use pot meter as variable resistor you have to leave one of the end pins unconnected and use the other two. smiley-wink

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm having difficulty finding how to connect a potentiometer. In circuits potentiometer has only 2 pins like a resistor, however in real life it has 3 pins. Please help me!
You are confusing two different devices.  A potentiometer has three pins, it is essentially a fixed resistor with a variable tap.  A rheostat has two pins, it is essentially a variable resistor.

Never mind I figured it out. To use pot meter as variable resistor you have to leave one of the end pins unconnected and use the other two.
This will frequently work in electronic circuits.  Most of the time one end is connected to the wiper as shown in the circuit diagram you mentioned.  In either case you should be aware that you are in danger of destroying the potentiometer when you adjust it toward one end if you don't have a fixed resistor in series with it.

As you adjust the potentiometer toward the low resistance end of it's travel the current increases.  In the absence of a external series resistance just before you get to zero ohms you have slightly less than infinite current.  This is the reason that many potentiometers are burned out at one end.

From the tutorial at the link in reply #1:  "A potentiometer is a simple knob that provides a variable resistance..." 
My opinion: AARRGGHH

Don

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It was, and probably still is, good practice to connect the "redundant" third terminal of a potentiometer to the slider terminal when using as a rheostat.  By that means, if the slider connection to the track should fail, the rheostat value goes to the full resistance value rather than open circuit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: