New library for PWM playback from SD cards: SimpleSDAudio

You are right, WaveShield doesn't have an additonal processor so the AVR has to cope with every sample. In the end, the external DAC mainly give the convenience that you don`t have to convert the sample rate of the audio file. I think WaveShield perfektly fits the hole between my radical simple hardware library and shields that came with additional controller.

Thanks for this library. It works like a dream.
For the fun of it, are there any way to speed up or slow down the speed. You know, making Schwarzenegger sound like Mickey mouse?
/Allan

I saw a video on YouTube where it appears someone has this working on the Due. Has anyone tried it on the Teensy 3.0 yet? I'd imagine the Due and Teensy3 could decode an actual WAV file..

update:
Sorry to mislead.. after some more tests.. I see this is really just an IDE 1.0 thing..

I tried to load another sketch (blink).. to my +3.3v/8MHz internal clock board.. and it gave same errors..

I opened IDE v.23 and the blink program loaded just fine... without error..

(the only problem now is.. SimpleSDAudio doesnt work with any IDE under 1.0....right?)

thanks!

Hi Tuttut
I would love to be able to read a text-file from the SD-Card to read some default settings to initialize my music-box. Would that be possible to add to the library without too much effort?
/Allan

Hi,

@xl97: I don't know if my lib works under Version below 1.00, but I think other people tried it as well and got it running, but I am not sure. Maybe you can try, within the last version of my lib I included at least something that picks other Arduino-default libs for versions below 1.0, but I never tested it.

@AllanB: My lib uses a own SD card implementation, but you could use this also to access other files on card. It is based on 3 layers: l0 does the hardware access to sd-card - you only have to change this if you want to use this lib on a different architecture. l1 gives access to sectors (sector read/write), whereas l2 gives access to filesystem. Using SD_L2_SearchFile you can find the first cluster of a file on card. Use then SD_L2_Cluster2Sector to get the appropriate sector that belongs to the file and finally read the sector using SD_L1_ReadBlock. Analyse the SimpleSDAudio.cpp to see how it works. It's not hard, but very low level...

hi Tuttut-

dont mind me!..

although it would be great if it did work with IDE v23 (and someone posted a 'how to')....

my realy problem is with IDE 1.0 (and not your lib at all)..

I made a minimal/breadboard hardware set-up (+3.3v @ 8MHz internal clock)... purpose built to use your lib for the project.

However.. my '3.3v/8MHz breadboard bootloader chip does NOT work with IDE 1.0 out of the box..

so Im reading up on how to make it 'compliant'.. (something to with boards.txt edits... and maybe another step as well?)

When I couldnt get the BLINK sketch to upload either.. I knew it was board/IDE problem.

thanks!

Hi xl97,

even it's off-topic, one of my next project I am working on is an special Arduino board with library for very low power applications. I already got my own bootloader for mega328 with 8 MHz internal clock (but 32kHz crystal-calibration) to work - I placed a boards.txt in a folder under /hardware/<my_arduino_board_name>. Compared to your file, it contains two lines that seems to be important for compilation:

gcduino168.build.core=arduino:arduino
gcduino168.build.variant=arduino:standard

Maybe that info will help you...

cool!

cant wait to see it..

Im using a TQFP 3.3v/8MHz minimal design (no regulator).. running off coin cell..

whole pcb is round and smaller than 1".. (plus has SD socket on bottom!).. has no room! lol

I just fired up IDE 1.0

and added this line to my breadboard board.txt file: (at the end)

atmega328bb.build.variant=arduino:standard

that seemed to be all I needed.. compiled and uploaded sketches.. works fine now.

I have a question about your diagrams for filters out the audio feed..

in some/many demos.. you say just use a 100Ohm resistor from D9 output.. before the speaker?..
and in some diagrams.. you have a 100uF cap ( - side to D9) between D9 and speaker..

My D10 is already fixed for the SD CS pin... so I cant use both D9 and D10 for better output..

but would like to learn more/better understanding about low-pass filters..etc and what can be done to (sorta) reduce the static/noise on the single D9 output approach..

I know a proper filter and amp would be best.. but there wont be any of that on this 'current' project

thanks!!

Since I've decided to use the 1284P and 644P for the benefit of the extra RAM, FLASH and EEPROM, I've been testing various things to see if everything will work. Obviously the 1284P isn't an official Arduino MCU so it requires some customisation to set everything up.

One thing I was worried about was SimpleSDAudio due to the use of the specific PWM pins and Timers. This turned out to be well founded and so I spent this evening investigating and trying to work a solution.

The other issue is that there are a few variants of pin mapping in use. I'm using the Bobuino variant that puts SPI across pins 10,11,12,13 and RX0/TX0 on D0/D1, to keep some consistency with Uno. There is also a 'standard' mapping that is the same as the Sanguino for the 644P

I managed to get it working in 1.01 and then moved to 1.02 and tried the same fix. So...

I have edited SimpleSDAudioDefs.h and added a new MCU entry for the 1284P and 1284, with both Bobuino and standard pin mappings. I also edited the 644P/644 entry to provide Bobuino pin mapping option, as I will use this with any 644 I use.

I also noticed that only the 168/328 entry has been updated to the Stereo 16 bit usage at the moment. Although I added the additional pins for PWM3 and PWM4. I've left them commented out as my knowledge doesn't extend to confirming if the register entries below it are correct for the 1284.

On the 1284 the OC0A and OC0B are on PB3 and PB4, rather than PD6 and PD5, as per the 168/328. The PWM1 and PWM2 are the same as 168/328 and certainly my 1284 works fine in 8 bit fullrate mono and 8 bit fullrate stereo now. The PWM4 conflicts with SPI SS again, as per the 328.

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate this into the library direct to save it having to be applied by hand on updates? Maybe you could check if the 'QUAD' options are correct or need some amendement before possibly enabling.

I added the 1284 entry above the 644/Sanguino entry. Remove any comments by me as you see fit. They are just there to highlight what I've actually altered.

// ADDDED FOR ATMEGA1284P and 1284 COMPATIBILITY - M BEEBY
#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega1284P__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega1284__)
// Mighty1284P & Bobuino

// Standard pinmap, same as Sanguino
    //#define SSDA_PWM1_PIN 13 // OC1A
    //#define SSDA_PWM2_PIN 12 // OC1B
    //#define SSDA_PWM3_PIN 3 // OC0A PB3 - NOTE 328 IS DIFFERENT, ON PD6
    //#define SSDA_PWM4_PIN 4 // OC0B PB4 (collision with SPI SS!) - NOTE 328 IS DIFFERENT, ON PD5

// Bobuino pinmap
    #define SSDA_PWM1_PIN 8 // OC1A
    #define SSDA_PWM2_PIN 30 // OC1B
    //#define SSDA_PWM3_PIN 7 // OC0A PB3 - NOTE 328 IS DIFFERENT, ON PD6
    //#define SSDA_PWM4_PIN 10 // OC0B PB4 (collision with SPI SS!) - NOTE 328 IS DIFFERENT, ON PD5

// Output-compare settings
    #define SSDA_OC1L    OCR1AL
    #define SSDA_OC2L    OCR1BL
	//#define SSDA_OC3L    OCR0A
    //#define SSDA_OC4L    OCR0B
    #define SSDA_OC1H    OCR1AH
    #define SSDA_OC2H    OCR1BH

// Register to backup and restore
    #define SSDA_OC_CR1_REG             TCCR1A
    #define SSDA_OC_CR2_REG             TCCR1B
	//#define SSDA_OC_CR3_REG             TCCR0A
    //#define SSDA_OC_CR4_REG             TCCR0B

// Always: Prescaler = 1, Fast-PWM-Mode with 8-Bit
    #define SSDA_SINGLE_OC_ENABLE()     { TCCR1A = _BV(WGM10) | _BV(COM1A1); TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);}
    #define SSDA_DUAL_OC_ENABLE()       { TCCR1A = _BV(WGM10) | _BV(COM1A1) | _BV(COM1B1); TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);}
    #define SSDA_DUAL_OC_BRIDGING()     { TCCR1A |= _BV(COM1B0); }
	//#define SSDA_QUAD_OC_ENABLE()       { TCCR0A = _BV(WGM00) | _BV(WGM01) | _BV(COM0A1) | _BV(COM0B1); TCCR0B = _BV(WGM02) | _BV(CS00);}
    //#define SSDA_QUAD_SYNC()			{ TCNT1 = 0; TCNT0 = 0; }
    #define SSDA_OC_INT_DISABLE()       { TIMSK1 &= ~_BV(TOIE1); TIFR1 |= _BV(TOV1); }
    #define SSDA_OC_INT_ENABLE()        { TIMSK1 |=  _BV(TOIE1); TIFR1 |= _BV(TOV1); }

#define SSDA_OC_INTERRUPT           TIMER1_OVF_vect

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega644P__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega644__)
// Sanguino

//Original standard pin mapping
    #define SSDA_PWM1_PIN 13 // OC1A
    #define SSDA_PWM2_PIN 12 // OC1B

// Bobuino pinmap - Added by M BEEBY
	//#define SSDA_PWM1_PIN 8 // OC1A
    //#define SSDA_PWM2_PIN 30 // OC1B

// Output-compare settings
    #define SSDA_OC1L    OCR1AL
    #define SSDA_OC2L    OCR1BL
    #define SSDA_OC1H    OCR1AH
    #define SSDA_OC2H    OCR1BH

// Register to backup and restore
    #define SSDA_OC_CR1_REG             TCCR1A
    #define SSDA_OC_CR2_REG             TCCR1B

// Always: Prescaler = 1, Fast-PWM-Mode with 8-Bit
    #define SSDA_SINGLE_OC_ENABLE()     { TCCR1A = _BV(WGM10) | _BV(COM1A1); TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);}
    #define SSDA_DUAL_OC_ENABLE()       { TCCR1A = _BV(WGM10) | _BV(COM1A1) | _BV(COM1B1); TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);}
    #define SSDA_DUAL_OC_BRIDGING()     { TCCR1A |= _BV(COM1B0); }

#define SSDA_OC_INT_DISABLE()       { TIMSK1 &= ~_BV(TOIE1); TIFR1 |= _BV(TOV1); }
    #define SSDA_OC_INT_ENABLE()        { TIMSK1 |=  _BV(TOIE1); TIFR1 |= _BV(TOV1); }

#define SSDA_OC_INTERRUPT           TIMER1_OVF_vect

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@allenb - or anyone

have you made any head way getting the SD lib to have some file reading capabilities yet?

I too would like to be able to use same lib to grab a few params/vars from a text file to be used in a sketch that also uses the SimpleSDAudio lib for audio playback

I read the brief comment left by Tuttut about looking at the lib ..and I havent got that far into it yet..(and dont really have high hopes or figuring it out by myself anyways!) lol..

figured Id ask before I dive in next week

thanks!!

Hi,

here an example how to read a file with the very low-level SD-sector-access commands from SimpleSDAudio-Library:

/*
 Simple SD Audio example, prints content of TEST.TXT from SD card.

This example shows how to use the SimpleSDAudio library embedded low-level file access.
 You need: 
 - An Arduino with ATmega368 or better
 - An SD-Card connected to Arduinos SPI port (many shields will do)
   -> copy TEST.TXT on freshly formated SD card into root folder

See SimpleSDAudio.h or our website for more information:
 http://www.hackerspace-ffm.de/wiki/index.php?title=SimpleSDAudio

created  19 Jan 2013 by Lutz Lisseck
*/
#include <SimpleSDAudio.h>
#include <sd_l2.h>
#include <sd_l1.h>

// Create static buffer (shared for all file access, because mega328 are quite low on RAM!)
#define BIGBUFSIZE (2*512)      // bigger than 2*512 is often only possible on Arduino megas!
uint8_t bigbuf[BIGBUFSIZE];

SD_L2_File_t TxtFileInfo;  

// helper function to determine free ram at runtime
int freeRam () {
  extern int __heap_start, *__brkval; 
  int v; 
  return (int) &v - (__brkval == 0 ? (int) &__heap_start : (int) __brkval); 
}

void setup()
{
  uint8_t retval;

// Open serial communications and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(9600); while (!Serial) {}

// Setting the buffer manually for more flexibility
  SdPlay.setWorkBuffer(bigbuf, BIGBUFSIZE); 

// Using F("...") to avoid wasting RAM  
  Serial.print(F("\nInitializing SD card..."));  

// If your SD card CS-Pin is not at Pin 4, enable and adapt the following line:
  // SdPlay.setSDCSPin(10);

if (!SdPlay.init(SSDA_MODE_FULLRATE | SSDA_MODE_MONO)) {
    Serial.println(F("Initialization failed. Error code:"));
    Serial.println(SdPlay.getLastError());
    while(1);
  } 

Serial.print(F("Free Ram: "));
  Serial.println(freeRam());

Serial.print(F("Looking for TEST.TXT... "));
  // Search for file TEST.TXT in Rootdir (=cluster 0), search shortname files only (0x00,0x18)
  retval = SD_L2_SearchFile((uint8_t *)"TEST.TXT", 0UL, 0x00, 0x18, &TxtFileInfo);
  if(retval) {
    Serial.println(F(" not found on card! Error code: "));
    Serial.println(retval);
    while(1);
  } else {
   Serial.println(F("found.")); 
   Serial.print(F("First sector: "));
   Serial.print(TxtFileInfo.ActSector);
   Serial.print(F(" Size: "));
   Serial.println(TxtFileInfo.Size);
  }    

while(TxtFileInfo.ActBytePos < TxtFileInfo.Size) {
    // read one sector
    retval = SD_L1_ReadBlock(TxtFileInfo.ActSector++, &bigbuf[0]);
    if(!retval) {
      uint16_t cnt = 0;
      // print sector content until 512 bytes or file length is reached
      while((cnt < 512) && (TxtFileInfo.ActBytePos < TxtFileInfo.Size)) {
        cnt++;
        TxtFileInfo.ActBytePos++;
        Serial.write(bigbuf[cnt]);
      }
    } else {
      Serial.println(F("Err read sector. Error code: "));
      Serial.println(retval);              
      while(1);
    }
  }
  Serial.println("done.");
}

void loop(void) {
}

I will include this example in later versions of the lib...
I had to edit this code in a way that the Audio-Lib shares the same buffer as that is used for sector-read because only that way it should fit to ATmega328 that is quite low on RAM.

Tuttut

Hi! We're trying to run the library with an Arduino Duemilanove and the Breakout Board for SD-MMC Cards. We´re having troubles when we try to run the Bare Minimun with debug and at the serial output we get an error code: 1

We've checked that our SD card is correctly wired and with the free RAM method we've got a 708...

So what does this mean? Sorry, English is not my native language...

We don't know why the code isn't running, if is the RAM or another point that we cannot see at this time

Can you help us?

Hi, error code 1 is a sign that there is something wrong with the SD-Card connection, RAM is no problem. Have you used level-shifters to ensure that the SD-card only get 3.3V? Otherwise you can damage the card. Are you using any kind of shield for the SD-card? You find also info about wiring the SD-card in the file SimpleSDAudio.h, this also explains how to build the level shifters.

miriel90:
Hi! We're trying to run the library with an Arduino Duemilanove and the Breakout Board for SD-MMC Cards. We´re having troubles when we try to run the Bare Minimun with debug and at the serial output we get an error code: 1

We've checked that our SD card is correctly wired and with the free RAM method we've got a 708...

So what does this mean? Sorry, English is not my native language...

We don't know why the code isn't running, if is the RAM or another point that we cannot see at this time

Can you help us?

sounds like problem with SD card set-up...

how is it set-up?

what breakout board are you using? Do you have any pics of the wiring/set-up?

I have used this with the following with 'success':

1.) Arduino Duemilanove 2009 board with a SeeedStudio SD shield (has bot SD and micro SD) http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/sd-card-shield-p-492.html

2.) have created a custom 'Arduino' board, all SMD, with on-board microSD socket, this runs at +5v/16MHz.. with a lever shifter for the SD card (and +3.3v regulator)

3.) a BARE minimum 'Arduino' circuit... running at +3.3v native logic.. and INTERNAL 8MHz clock.. with on-board micro SD card.. (running direct connect, no lever shifter needed or any voltage divider)

and after working through some of MY mistakes.. all have worked great and as described.

Tuttut:
Hi, error code 1 is a sign that there is something wrong with the SD-Card connection, RAM is no problem. Have you used level-shifters to ensure that the SD-card only get 3.3V? Otherwise you can damage the card. Are you using any kind of shield for the SD-card? You find also info about wiring the SD-card in the file SimpleSDAudio.h, this also explains how to build the level shifters.

Yes we used level-shifters but we used a wiring configuration different from the wiring of the SimpleSDAudio.h... so we're going to change our wiring. We're using this shield SparkFun SD/MMC Card Breakout - BOB-12941 - SparkFun Electronics? for the SD-card and the configuration we've used previously is this:

D2 nothing
D3 Chip Select line (CS) needs pull down resistors
CMD pin 11, no pull down resistors
CD nothing
CLK clock connect to pin 13, needs pull down resistors
VCC 3.3V
GND ground
D0 pin 12, needs pull down resistors
D1 nothing
WP nothing

I found it in the same page of Sparkfun...

So, the D2 pin of the Breakout Board is the CS?

Thanks for your answers! :smiley:

I have set up my sd card and successfully played the example program (although for some reason it doesn't work with the two resistors)
My problem is how to produce my own files as I cannot understand exactly what I am supposed to convert my wav file to. I have downloaded the SOX program as suggested and haven't a clue how to use it. I downloaded a guide but find it totally incomprehensible. Please, is there a simple explanation for ancients like me with a shortage of grey cells !

hi-

in the library .zip file .. there is a directory called 'tools'..
(Datei:SimpleSDAudio V1.02.zip – Hackerspace Ffm) <-- latest version posted is v1.02

SimpleSDAudio\tools

Inside that you had three more directories:

Arduino with 8 MHz
Arduino with 16 MHz
sox_win
&
ReadmeSimpleSDAudio.txt

(the readme explains all of this)

so you take your /wav file of choice, that you want to convert..(the file format accepted/used by SimpleSDAudio is .afm)

if you need are using an 8MHz board/clock.. then you would open/go into the Arduino with 8MHz folder.. and drag your .wav file over the conversion you want done/format you want to end up with.

which is either FULL or HALF rate.. and either MONO or STEREO

if your board is running a 16MHz clock.. then you do the same in the Arduino with 16MHz directory...

after you drop the file on the correct .bat file you want.. you will be prompted to press any key from a command prompt (CMD) window..

this will created a folder called 'converted' in the directory you just dropped the .wav in.. and inside will be your new, ready to use .afm file.

That's brilliant - thanks very much - works a treat and with good sound. There will now be a period of silence whilst I figure out how to select and play specific files from a list. I presume that this is possible if not perhaps someone could tip me off to save me from hurting my brain !!

there is a demo provided whre it lists out all .files on the SD card..

and you can enter it in by name (in the serial monitor)..

and you can then P = play S= stop...etc..etc (its outlines the commands)

I bet if you tear that demo apart you'll be able to cut out those snippets you want