Go Down

Topic: Could Ardu be accessed in Win as a Harddisk? (Read 714 times) previous topic - next topic

lax123

Hi,
Is it possible to somehow access an ardu with maybe a SD module as regular harddisk in Windows? In a way that i would not need to pull out the SD card and put it into a SD reader?

PaulS

Is it possible to somehow access an ardu with maybe a SD module as regular harddisk in Windows?

Put simply, no.

lax123

Thx for your response.
i just found this in some FAQ:

"The big thing that is nice about the 8u2 is that advanced users can turn it into a different kind of USB device. For example it can act like a keyboard or mouse. Or a disk driver. Or a MIDI interface, etc. Right now there are no examples of how to do this, but we hope to post some shortly."

But they r wrong? :-(

lax123

do you maybe have a source why its impossible? i cant imagine that id be that first who thinks that that would be very handy.

maybe not as a harddisk but just in a way that you would not have to pull out the sd card and put it in a reader to get access to the txts

PaulS

do you maybe have a source why its impossible?

If you think about it for a minute, it should be fairly obvious. For a USB device connected to the PC to perform some useful task, it must be programmed to perform that task. Now, the Arduino has a chip on it that is recognized as a USB device, and it can accept commands from the master, and it can provide the correct answers.

However, that chip has NOT been programmed to accept disk-drive enumeration and access commands, and has not been programmed to respond accordingly.

Sure, in theory you could reprogram the chip to do that. If you need to ask here if it has already been done, then it indicates to me that you are not even aware of what it means to program a USB device, which indicates to me that you are not up to the task of doing that.

i cant imagine that id be that first who thinks that that would be very handy.

Well, there are devices that have already been programmed to take a SD card and act like a disk drive (accepting and properly responding to the necessary USB commands). So, the population that needs the Arduino with SD shield to do the same thing is not as large as you might think it is.

"The big thing that is nice about the 8u2 is that advanced users can turn it into a different kind of USB device. For example it can act like a keyboard or mouse. Or a disk driver. Or a MIDI interface, etc. Right now there are no examples of how to do this, but we hope to post some shortly."

Perhaps you missed the highlighted phrase.

But they r wrong?

No, they are right. It is not a trivial task, though, as you seem to think it is.

PaulS

maybe not as a harddisk but just in a way that you would not have to pull out the sd card and put it in a reader to get access to the txts

This is a far different proposition than your initial statement. It is quite possible, and relatively easy, to write an application on the PC that communicates with the Arduino, via the serial port, that could determine whether or not there is an SD card present, on the Arduino, and, if so, what files are on that card, and what is in those files.

That application could then get the files from the SD card, and could add other files to the SD card.

That is not native to Windows, though, as you first asked, AND would require that the Arduino be specifically programmed to respond to the PC application's request for information/action.

All in all, more trouble than simply powering down the Arduino, popping the card out, reading it natively in the PC, and then returning it to the Arduino and powering the Arduino back up, where it would resume its original task without needing to be reprogrammed.

cwrose

For Arduino's buried in out-of-the-way spaces or cases it would be useful
to have a way of simply reading off or updating the SD card contents;
and you could certainly write a host program that treats such an access
mechanism as a file system.

The problem is that the Arduino end would take up space, and I'm not
sure how much Arduino code exporting a filesystem would need.  There
might be room for very little else.

Will

ematson5897

I seem to remember the teensy by pjrc being able to do that, but I'm not sure. I can't verify this because I am on vacation until the 19th

ematson5897

Scratch that, found this in change log

Version 0.9

Support for Arduino versions 0019 and 0021

USB Disk type added, supporting both SD Flash and internal flash

Fix Arduino bugs #29, #78, #209, #235

Emulate Arduino reboot behavior with Serial Monitor window is opened [/quote

I have not tested it so I can't guarantee anything

Go Up