Go Down

Topic: roomba help? (Read 565 times) previous topic - next topic

dragracekid

I have started messing with my roomba and i got the library for it. i get one error the scripts error when i use the test suite with a mega. my question is what can i do? i cant really find any code that i can mess with and learn with. when i plug the cables into the mega it powers up and so does the romba so i belive the roomba is an updated model it is a discovery 4230 any help would be great. thanks everyone.

PaulS

i get one error the scripts error when i use the test suite with a mega. my question is what can i do?

When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

If that doesn't work, post the code and the error. That way, we have some idea what you are talking about.

i cant really find any code that i can mess with and learn with.

You have fingers. You have an IDE. Start writing some.

Having some idea what you want the code to do might, possibly, make it easier to write.

JoeO

When I search "roomba arduino code" with Google I get 136,000 results.

RobotMan_24

Hey JoeO:

A great place to start would be to look up "arduino serial port communication", or looking up some turtorials about that.  I'm unclear if you are getting lost with the arduino, or just what types of commands you need to send to the roomba.

If you are just trying to learn more about the roomba communication, I would highly recomend taking a look at this turtorial:

http://www.robotappstore.com/Knowledge-Base/1-Introduction-to-Roomba-Programming/15.html

It doens't specifically use an arduino, but it uses the serial port of a PC computer - which should operate identically in nature to what the arduino's serial port should do. 

If you are starting from a point where you totally lost - i would recomend reading and folowing the turtorial.  You will need to get a roomba serial cable, but you can make a DIY one (I think there is one up on sparkfun).  Additionally you will either need a serial to USB dongle (they are cheap), or an older computer with a serial port.  Follow the steps and once you get the roomba moving around - I would try to duplicate it with your ardunio.

Again - I don't know where you are starting from, but if you have any questions - please ask away!  hope this helps :P.

Go Up