Go Down

Topic: Mounting Arduino on custom PCB? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Yes, you could work work something out with someone who has larger capability.
I can do 100 x 160mm for example, about 4x6", so you could  do the front panel as 2 pieces (which looks to be !5x8"?)
Or find one of the Kicad folks,  Kicad is supposedly unlimited size.
Looks like you have tons of room to mount all kinds of stuff - hard to tell from your pictures what else goes in the  box.

If you need to keep the USB connectivity, there are several USB/Serial modules you could use, and then add the uC and the 5-6 Resistor/capacitor/crystal needed to make up an Arduino clone. Add a 5V wallwart for power and a panel mount power connector.  Hardly any more soldering at all compared to what else you have there.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Fredrik

Allrightey

You're right, seems like not too hard to include an Arduino clone. I mean the schematics and PCB even comes along with Eagle as example right?

So, what do i need to do with the Atmega, it needs the Arduino bootloader? Can I buy prepared ones or how can I load that myself?

To cover all the buttons for my panel I need a board that is about 208 x 114 mm. But I have a friend with an Eagle pro license that maybe can help me out.

Another idea could be to alter the design, and divide the 16 step buttons into 4 groups of 4 and have a small space between them. Then I could to small PCBs that just contains the 4 buttons and a flat cable connector. But then there would be a patchwork of small PCB:s... dunno what to think about that...

Later
F

CrossRoads

Yes, you can buy pre-bootloaded uCs:
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/CPU-ARD328P

Bare minimum components are shown below.

208x114 /2 = 108x57
Squeeze a little down to 100 x 57, can do that with standard eagle free hobbyist download (100 x 80)
(8mm = 0.3")

Boards are then 10 for $24.90 plus ~$5 shipping from iteadstudio.com

May 3 10-conductor ribbon cables to connect the 2 halves?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Fredrik

Amazing! Really great help!

Since in need more in and outputs I've use two of these:

http://docs.macetech.com/doku.php/centipede_shield

So, I'm thinking about doing the same thing here, placing the neccesary components on the board, MCP23017. If they are available as non-surface mount...

Seems like a pretty good way if you don't have other ideas. The MCP23017:s even has built in 200 ohm pullup resistors, perfect for buttons.

CrossRoads

Go Up