Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sudden unreliability with my network-enabled Arduino project  (Read 6978 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I had to power-cycle my device again last Friday (April 12th). smiley-sad

I don't know what's going on in my garage, but it must be pretty bad. I think I mentioned it before, but I've had to power cycle some of my other electronic devices in the past. For instance, I have a network-enabled sprinkler system controller that I bought from rayshobby.net that I was always power-cycling, but after I put it on a UPS, I only have to power-cycle it only every couple of months. And come to think of it I have to power cycle my router and my network switches once in a while too.

This is really making me think that there's nothing really wrong with my device and that it's purely the power in my garage. Is there anything I can do to correct the power in my garage/house?

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Your timing is good. I found a problem with the server code we were using. Here is a thread that covers a lot of this without having to duplicate all that.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,160048.msg1200379.html#msg1200379
and
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=160912.msg1206332#msg1206332

Here is the server code with the timeout applied.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/WebServerST

Maybe that will take care of that pesky crash.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:50:36 am by SurferTim » Logged

View Profile

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I had to power-cycle my device again last Friday (April 12th). smiley-sad

I don't know what's going on in my garage, but it must be pretty bad. I think I mentioned it before, but I've had to power cycle some of my other electronic devices in the past. For instance, I have a network-enabled sprinkler system controller that I bought from rayshobby.net that I was always power-cycling, but after I put it on a UPS, I only have to power-cycle it only every couple of months. And come to think of it I have to power cycle my router and my network switches once in a while too.

This is really making me think that there's nothing really wrong with my device and that it's purely the power in my garage. Is there anything I can do to correct the power in my garage/house?

In south west Florida they have really dirty power. I have customers with routers not on UPSs loose their configs all the time. For areas with bad power like that, I always recommend higher end APC UPS like Back-UPS Pro that has power conditioning, not only power loss support (corrects for over voltages and under voltages). That would of been one of my first steps after you stated that you have to reset network gear every so often.

I would also use a packet sniffer (wireshark) to confirm everything is working on the network side of the app.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Jump to: