Go Down

Topic: magnetic sensing ...? (Read 663 times) previous topic - next topic

Carsten53T

ei folks
I've got a hall-effect sensor that flips nicely and cleanly each time the magnetic field reverses. I would like to add a small strong magnet to my motor-axel, to use it for measuring rotations at a higher resolution than 2/round .. but my two electro-pushers do not have a hall-effect sensor with a more continuous output. I assume that they are available elsewhere? I've tried photo-interrupters, but they seem unreliable (or could it be me? .. naa). Anyway .. are there any reliable solutions for measuring at a resolution of 24 measurements/round on 2 rounds/sec max-speed axels?

MarkT

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

PiJoy

<snip>
I would like to add a small strong magnet to my motor-axel, to use it for measuring rotations at a higher resolution than 2/round .. but my two electro-pushers do not have a hall-effect sensor with a more continuous output. <snip>

Do you want a linear sensor or a non-contact encoder?  Both are available.

Linear hall effect sensors are widely available.  I entered linear hall sensor into the search box at digikey.com and got hundreds of matches.  FYI, this URL should reproduce the same search results:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/magnetic-hall-effect-digital-switch-linear-compass-ics/1967232?stock=1

Hope this helps

Carsten53T

Hi guys
thank you for your suggestions.
Maybe I should try with my primery school learning, a curled up wire and try to catch it from there. A rotary encoder is over the top.

Go Up