Go Down

Topic: Is Arduino Due coming? (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic

bperrybap

But what I haven't seen is any comment on whether it will be a single IDE that can support
both like MPIDE or whether it will be a separate IDE - which would be a total bummer.

Anybody got a link to the actual code so people can start to evaluate the IDE
and look over the source code to the core code and libraries?

--- bill

Graynomad

which would be a total bummer

I'm of two minds about this. A real IDE with all the associated goodies is a joy to use, the Arduino IDE could never be described as such but it is simple and that's important for many people.

Any decently sized and complicated program really benefits from the sorts of features available with a real IDE and IMO proper debugging support is a must. That said a 100-line program doesn't need that, so I think there's an argument for both.

Of course supporting two IDEs would be a lot of work.

Anybody got a link to the actual code...

Fat chance, if anything became available it would have been broadcast from the rooftops 2 minutes later.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

bperrybap

What I was referring to was not a "better" ide but rather the mpide way of doing things
within the existing IDE interface:
1 ide that supports different processors transparently because they are just a different board type.

It is a joy to use mpide when testing on different boards,
as you can build the same sketch for an AVR based Arduino board
like an UNO and then flip over to a MIPs based Arduino board like the chipkit UNO32  by
just changing the board type.

I figured they weren't making any code available.
I think that is really dumb. Probably even dumber than what was done with Arduino 1.0
It is silly to keep things so hidden if they are really as close to release as they seem to imply
because the lack of additional testing and eye balls looking at it will only cause
the code to ship with issues that could have been resolved prior to release.

I wish the Arduino team would just swallow its pride and jump on to using mpide
as it has already solved so many of the multiple/different processor type using
the same IDE issues and is up and working today.

But I figure that won't ever happen given how tightly they seem to want to keep control
of everything.

--- bill

Graynomad

I've contacted the "Arduino team" many times offering to help...so far not one single response. I'd be happy to sign an NDA etc and as you say more eyes can't do any harm. I understand that you don't want too many actual developers and maybe they have enough (or maybe not) but you can have lots of people doing code reviews and inputting ideas.

There's nothing on the developers list either, not one post. So I guess we just have to wait until it's released then complain about the results. :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up