Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: arduino to pcb  (Read 260 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hey guys... so i've worked out a very basic, super simple arduino "project" (press a button, servo turns for 10 seconds and stop... press again, the servo turns in the opposite direction)... very proud of myself... lol... so now it (arduino, breadboard, wires, etc) is sitting in front of me, not looking very tidy... and i have no idea where to go from here...

so the question is this - are there companies and/or individuals who'll take a sketch (submitted by me, let's say), do their magic, and return to me a small functioning pcb with an ic and some leads into which i can plug in my servo and button?..

- max

View Profile

Hey,

there are companies which will take a pcb layout and create a board for you - but i suspect itll be quite expensive creating one board. Instead, why not try making your own? Make the design on some software, and look into how you can diy your own pcb, its a good learning experience, and a small board like the one youre looking to make can be done easily

goodluck!

View Profile

hey jdmkid... i hear what you're saying... and i totally agree about the learning experience... i just feel like i'm reinventing the wheel... not to mention that i don't have (or know how to use) a soldering iron etc...

maybe i used incorrect terminology (total beginner here!)... i don't necessarily need a printed board... just something more "permanent" (i guess soldered), and with a small footprint that i can actually use without my arduino...

all suggestions (and words of encouragement!) are appreciated... thanks guys!..

- max

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

Here is one way to do a board.
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11109

View Profile

Oh, why not get a prototyping board for the arduino? And id suggest getting a soldering iron, soldering is honestly very easy, and if youre getting into electronics, soldering is one thing you may not be able to avoid after using the breadboard. Pickup a cheap iron and solder and just practice soldering wire ends together, just takes a little practice.

About your original question, im not sure if anyone specifically does that, but maybe someone might be willing to do it and send it to you.

View Profile

One option for a more permanent board would be to layout a schematic in Eagle ( http://www.cadsoftusa.com ) and design your own board based on that...The Eagle files for Arduino stuffs are readily available so you could easily use those as a starting point.  There are lots of online tutorials for starting with Eagle too.  There's a limited, free version of Eagle that you can use as long as it's purely for personal/hobby use.  If you ever plan on designing/building something that you'd make money from, you're required to license it (for the light version the price of license is very reasonable).  

Once you get your board laid out, oshpark.com has great rates and turn-around times (in my experience under 2 weeks, which is great considering the price) for getting a board built based on your board drawings.

View Profile

if your circuit is super simple, all you need is to take some photos and tell us what you are looking for.

you can buy perf boards on e-bay pretty cheap.   then place your components and connect them together.

they make perf boards that are identical to your breadboard. so all you have to do is make an exact copy.

soldering is very simple.  here is a hint, only solder one pin at first, then check the part and push it to get it into the correct space and then solder a different pin.  check, re-solder the first, then all the rest.

a simple $10 soldering iron will get it done for you.

if cost and time is not an issue, there are folks who would lay it out and order the boards, solder and check.

if time is of the essence, then costs will increase dramatically.

View Profile

once again i have to say how impressed i am with this community!.. how refreshing to see a specialty forum that doesn't condescend to newbies - kudos!.. thank you all for the hand-holding when it counts the most... 

ok, so here's how simple my code is:

Code:
//zoomkat servo button toggle test 4-28-2012

#include <Servo.h>
int button = 5; //button pin, connect to ground to move servo
int press = 0;
Servo myServo;
boolean toggle = true;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(button, INPUT); //arduino monitor pin state
  myServo.attach(9); //pin for servo control signal
  digitalWrite(5, HIGH); //enable pullups to make pin high
}

void loop()
{
  press = digitalRead(button);
  if (press == LOW)
  {
    if(toggle)
    {
      myServo.writeMicroseconds(1700);  // Counter clockwise
      delay(10000);                      // Wait 2 seconds
      myServo.writeMicroseconds(1500);  // Stop
      toggle = !toggle;
    }
    else
    {
      myServo.writeMicroseconds(1300);  // Clockwise
      delay(2000);          // Wait 2 seconds
      myServo.writeMicroseconds(1500);  // Stop
      toggle = !toggle;
    }
  }
  delay(200);  //delay for debounce
}

i love the idea of soldering the board myself... i think it's something i should be able to do... sooner or later... and i have a vague idea of the concept... but it's the practical steps that i'm still missing... i'm guessing i'll need duplicates of all components that are currently attached to my arduino... which includes another chip - should i stick with ATMega328P? - that needs to be programmed... do i just follow any one of the million tutorials for bootloader etc and then just emulate the arduino layout on a protoboard and solder it?.. what am i missing?..

- max

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

Many just buy a Atmega328 ($4.00) a crystal (16MHZ) 2 caps (22PF) resistors a few resistors.
Later add transistors and I.C.s as needed.
You can put together one of these:  https://solarbotics.com/product/kardw/
Maybe this: here.
You can use you UNO to program the new Atmega328 with or without a bootloader.
If you use the same chip then there wont be any software issues.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:02:16 am by LarryD » Logged

View Profile

once again i have to say how impressed i am with this community!.. how refreshing to see a specialty forum that doesn't condescend to newbies -

- max

oh, but we do.  if your subject line is newest-newby or what is this ? and show a photo of a optio-isolator, either no one will answer or someone will poke fun.

but, when a person has an actual question and shows some attempt to discover the answer on their own, these guys are amazing to share their knowledge and experience.

View Profile

i love the idea of soldering the board myself... i think it's something i should be able to do... sooner or later... and i have a vague idea of the concept... but it's the practical steps that i'm still missing... i'm guessing i'll need duplicates of all components that are currently attached to my arduino... which includes another chip - should i stick with ATMega328P? - that needs to be programmed... do i just follow any one of the million tutorials for bootloader etc and then just emulate the arduino layout on a protoboard and solder it?.. what am i missing?..

- max

slow down..... you can buy a shield that plugs into your UNO and then you solder in your parts.  for the cost of a clone, I believe that someone just starting out would be best to buy the complete and working board and only add their circuit.  especially if it is just a few buttons.

the arduino is just a concept, a platform on a microprocessor.  but it needs quite a few parts.  the crystal is just the beginning.  you need to feed it some power, so either a wall wart, or you start adding a power circuit.  then you need a programmer or you need to add a USB circuit.

or, you can spend abotu $20 and get a complete unit ready to run.  another $20 and you can get either a set of buttons or a prototpe shield.   

as a beginner, you have to figure out where the problems are.  if you have a working Arduino, the problems are either in your circuit or your software.    if you build your own board, you add another source of potential problems.

check the costs on e-bay for a mini or micro,

there are quite a few button

http://www.robotshop.com/en/itead-joystick-shield.html

is just one.

I still suggest you get a soldering iron ,   resistors, transistors, boards, led's and such. 

make the circuit you want, get it working, then duplicate only the parts you need.

View Profile

again, huge thanks to all advice!.. really appreciate it...

that's a lot of information for me to digest but i'm sure i'll have follow up questions smiley

- max

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: