Go Down

Topic: electronics rule broken? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kd7eir

We are asking about your CODE because it is your CODE that processes the INPUTS that you state you are having a problem with.  Is that clear enough?

We do not sit around and ask people for information because we are bored.  You came to US for help, feel free to ignore our requests for further information and solve this problem YOURSELF.

Nick Gammon

Problem is that they only work with the switches in a particular order and I don't know why.

When you measure the outputs (ie. the pins going into the Arduino) with a multimeter what do you see?
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Nick Gammon

Also what kd7eir said.

How many times do we hear "my wiring is perfect" .... (5 forum pages later) .... "oops, wiring error".

Now you are telling us "my code works fine".

If it works fine, why are you posting? Get rid of the Arduino from the circuit, and just measure the electrical properties of the circuit.

More info:

CrossRoads

So you want to have  the 3 relays (closed by sensors) detected as either all open, or 1 or more closed?
Wire the 3 sets of contacts in parallel with one end grounded and the other end going to an arduino pin with internal pullup enabled.

If all are open the pin reads as high, life goes on.
If any one closes, the pin reads as low, life stops until the pin reads high again.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

AndyCC

Jul 13, 2012, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Jul 13, 2012, 10:53 pm by AndyCC Reason: 1
Just a thought: I have no idea what sonic relays are, but if they're emitting and detecting sound to close a switch (like a ping sensor), maybe they're interfering with each other? That would explain why one works fine, two get a little flaky, and three don't work at all.

Variador

To Nick,

From my first message, "I have checked that 4.5+v is flowing when the switch is in the on position on all three at once."
This would include each individually also.

Thanks
Don

Variador

To Crossroads,

Thank You, this is a good question because that would be a possibility with the way I explained it but, that isn't it. The sensors are far apart.
But the sensors don't have to be on. The code doesn't have to run. There is something about the wiring that keeps the arduino from going high on one of the three pins used for input depending upon the order of the three signal wires connected to the input pins of the arduino. In other words I can get them all to work properly but they have to be in specific order. How do I know it is not my code? I am running the "StandardFirmata" sketch from the example sketches. (covered in an earlier post)
Once that is running you run a free application from Nootropic design (they make the Video Experimenter Shield for Arduino. You may have seen it in Makezine, You tube, Hackaday and others). The application from Nootropic design is called Toolduino. With Toolduino you can check the state of the pins on the Arduino.
This is how I separated the code from the electronics and why I asked my question in the General Electronics forum.
There are probably apps similar to Toolduino. Went to Toolduino thinking I had blown a pin out. Thought it would no longer receive a high signal. With Toolduino I could see the pin work and not work. This is also how I figured that all three inputs could work at the same time depending on which signal wire went where.
I was asking about the electronic reason for this occurrence.

Thanks again
Don

Variador

to kd7eir

Even experts need to read the posts before flaming the fellow asking the question.
Don't understand my poorly written posts asking for help? Move on.
There are others who need your expertise.

fkeel

@ Variador

kd7eir has a point... you are not really giving us a lot to work with. If you would have just posted the code you are working with, we would not be having this discussion now.

from reading your posts I come to two conclusions

either
a) The wiring you have in the pictures you show is not the wiring you have in real life
or
b) There is a problem with your code.
edit: or c) What AndyCC said.

Posting your code could help us exclude that possibility. Posting a photograph of your breadboard might also help.

My guess is that there is something wacky with your breadboard. Maybe you have one of those annoying ones which do not connect the entire power line, but only half of it?

Regards

p.
http://embodimentlabs.tumblr.com/
http://paulstrohmeier.info/

Nick Gammon

Even experts need to read the posts before flaming the fellow asking the question.

I'm sorry Variador but you aren't being particularly helpful yourself.

Your core problem:

Problem is that they only work with the switches in a particular order and I don't know why.

Now what have you NOT given us?

• No code.

• No photo of your setup.

• No schematic

• Your first Fritzing diagram was wrong (which you admit) followed by another you claim is now correct.

... they only work with the switches in a particular order ...

What do you mean by that? The order they are placed on the board? The order you press the switches? The order they are plugged into the Arduino? How about a truth-table? What order gives what results?

I have checked that 4.5+v is flowing when the switch is in the on position on all three at once.

What does this mean? Flowing? Flowing where?

Arduino only sees three when they are in a particular order.

So you measure one thing with a meter, but the Arduino "sees" something else? Or not? Clarification please.

There is something about the wiring that keeps the arduino from going high ...

What do you mean? Is the Arduino smoking dope? Come on. Be specific. What pin does not go high? How do you know this? Meter? Code? Output?

If you aren't going to be more helpful I'll have to close the thread.

More info:

Go Up