Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Alternate Wall Adapter?  (Read 346 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I read online that the Arduino wall adapter has a 9 V, 650 milli amps output.

I have both an 8v, 650 mA, and a 9v, 400 mA wall adapter from other electronics. Would either or both of them be sufficent to at least run the Arduino?

Many thanks

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes - providing they are DC output and their off-load voltage doesn't exceed say 14 volts.  
Most cheap ones will fail the off-load limit :  I have a 12 volt one which exceeds 20 volts off-load !!
Certainly the arduino will always present a load which will make an unstabilised wall-wart output drop  to the arduino spec of 12 volts but without knowing by how much, it's safer to avoid anything that exceeds 14 volts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:35:00 am by jackrae » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I find these to work well

http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-07510
7.5V, keeps the regulator cool too.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I read online that the Arduino wall adapter has a 9 V, 650 milli amps output.
There is no such thing as an "Arduino wall adapter".  However, there are wall adapters that work with Arduino.

Current ratings are a matter of "source" and "drain".  The power supply current rating is the amount it can "source."  The load (whatever you attach to the supply) will draw from that source.  For example, the Arduino will draw around 40 or 50mA when powered through the barrel jack.  This means it will only draw up to 50mA from the source.

In theory, It doesn't matter what that 9V source is rated at, as long as it is more than 50mA.  In practice, you don't want to go way the amount of current you need, because regulators generally have a minimum load requirement, blah blah blah.  Don't go over 2A unless your project has a specific need.

I have both an 8v, 650 mA, and a 9v, 400 mA wall adapter from other electronics. Would either or both of them be sufficent to at least run the Arduino?
You should be able to answer your own question now... smiley

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: