Go Down

Topic: Fast 130ms Ping Pong Robot on YouTube (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hey,

Check out our NEW videos and comment on our ping pong robotics project. Our goal is to make our robot intelligent and cost effective.

Click here to see our latest videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ModuPong?feature=mhee

The ModuPong channel is about a modular robotics system that tracks a ping pong ball in real-time. In addition, we cover in this channel how the system predicts and responds in less than 130ms.

Please tell me if you have any ideas on how we could make our system better. Cheaper and faster would be great! :)

Thanks,

John Milton

Thanks! We are glad to have your support! :)

-John Milton

wazawoo

Amazing stuff. What a great project!

I'm curious, and I may have missed it in the videos, but does the device attempt to hit the ball in any strategy?

As in attempting to have it land every time on the other side of the net using varying levels of actuation?

Also, can it handle multiple bounces?

Again, phenomenal job.
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough -Albert Einstein

Great questions! Thank you for watching my videos.

We know how to make the robot hit at varying velocities and angles. We plan on making the robot strategical but we first want to make the robot cheaper and faster. Please tel me if you have any ideas.

The prediction system cannot deal with multiple bounces how it is set up. We were thinking about it but we did not have time to address that issue. Calculating one bounce was hard (non-linear system) and calculating four to six bounces would be a nightmare (non-linear system"s").

Thanks,

John Milton

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for watching our videos and for all of your support. Please keep asking questions.

Thanks again!

Jul 24, 2012, 07:53 pm Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012, 07:12 am by warunasanjaya11 Reason: 1
I watched the video. One thing I noticed is that robot does not make vertical moves or horizontal moves. Are the ping pong robot creators going to modify or create a robot which performs horizontal and vertical movements which will help to hit the ping pong ball more effectively?

Dashquid
fatlossprofessional.co.uk
fatlossprofessional
mobilehelper
securetrip
whichpetcover
google
abc
facebook
craigslist

Great question!

I made an executive decision when I started to design this robot in a CAD program to give it 3 Degrees Of Freedom (DOF) to reduce cost and decrease error when the robot returns the ball. Error mostly comes from the moving parts. We have 5 moving parts (4 servos and 1 air cylinder).

We talk about our 3DOF here in the Reaction System Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfaoB8efB_E&feature=plcp

Please tell me if you know of a cheap way of getting or creating fast and accurate xyz-axis translation system that can cover the whole table. The thing that makes translation hard is F=ma (Force = mass x acceleration). You need to have a system that can accelerate, decelerate, and stop at particular point in xyz. In addition, there will have to be a feedback loop to tell the response system where the paddle is in real-time for the system to calculate the new response trajectory. The icing on the cake is that the system has to do all of this within a fraction of a second. It is possible but the cost will go up. Please tell me what your thoughts are?

Keep asking questions and giving suggestions. Thanks!

-John Milton

Go Up