Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 2 Network shields  (Read 453 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,
This is my first post, I just started with the Arduino and I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 network shields?
Basically i want an In and Out for my network data. I was thinking it is not possible because both network shields would use
the same pins, but I am not too familiar with how this works. Any ideas to help me before i buy?
Thanks in advanced smiley
-Kevin

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Why do you think you need two shields? Your pc is most likely only using a single network interface.

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

I agree with dxw00d that you probably don't need two shields but if you must have them for any reason, there is a possibility. Most of the pins of the Ethernet shield can be used by both shields together (not at the same time but that's a software issue). The reserved ones are pin 10 (SS of Ethernet) and 4 (SS of SD card). You can remove the two pins on the upper shield and reconnect them by jumper wire from other pins.
You then have to use two versions of the Ethernet library with one having the SS pin changed to the rerouted pin.

View Profile

I would like to do this too so that I can build a tiny ethernet bridge..

I read on the freetronics website

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/stacking-arduino-shields#.T_614FIUiZY

that there is an issue with the shield and the SPI bus

TT

View Profile

Thank you all for the replies! I will explain what I am thinking. I want to make something
that I can inject HTML into every page that is requested and display a picture(logo) on it.
I think it is possible to do with DD-WRT but, I want to build it with the Arduino. Building
it is half the fun right? It really has no purpose I just want to see if it is possible smiley-grin

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I think that is possible, but certainly not easy. A bit of pin bending would be required, and probably another ethernet library (or serious mods to the current library) for ether2.

edit: I was SurferTim on the DD-WRT forum. I patched a couple bugs in the ChilliSpot hotspot for them. I haven't been there in a while. I use Mikrotik/Routerboard routers now. I'm SurferTim on that forum also.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:27:50 am by SurferTim » Logged

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

@OP: I don't think this is possible because an Arduino with an Ethernet shield is not able to be something like a transparent proxy by filtering certain network data streams and changing content. There are several reasons why this don't work, one is RAM capacity, the other is no access to low level ethernet traffic, processor speed is also accounting. This is possible with DD-WRT (or another Linux based network device) but out of reach for an Arduino.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: