Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where can I buy RJ45 female connectors?  (Read 749 times)
Northern California (by San Francisco)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm working on a project where I use Cat5e cable to send four digital signals from an Arduino to some electronics about six feet away. I have the Cat5e cable that I need, with a male connector on one end.

What I need, though, is the RJ45 female connector to go with the electronics. I want to mount that connector on perfboard and run wires from the connector to some transistors and other components.

I thought those connectors would be easy to find, but can't find them anywhere. Any suggestions on where to look?

View Profile

Found them at Jameco. I knew that would happen. Whenever I give up and post, I find the answer shortly thereafter.

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Digikey and Mouser have them.  I don't know how perfboard-friendly they are.  And keep in mind some have integrated isolation transformers ("magnetics") that you'll want to avoid.

View Profile

Oops, my mistake. I said RJ-45 female connectors, but what I was having trouble finding was USB female connectors. Jameco has them. Digikey and Mouser do not seem to.

And keep in mind some have integrated isolation transformers ("magnetics") that you'll want to avoid.

Thanks for the heads-up about the magnetics. I wondered what that meant.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Oops, my mistake. I said RJ-45 female connectors, but what I was having trouble finding was USB female connectors. Jameco has them. Digikey and Mouser do not seem to.

And keep in mind some have integrated isolation transformers ("magnetics") that you'll want to avoid.

Thanks for the heads-up about the magnetics. I wondered what that meant.

You need to search again.  Use the word "receptacle" rather than "socket" - its the posh way to say socket!

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Thanks, MarkT. You are right. At Digikey I searched for USB receptacle, and there they were. It's nice to learn to be posher.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: