Go Down

Topic: Put some analog Meters + dimming LEDs on an Arduino Mini (Read 474 times) previous topic - next topic

optikfluffel

Hi :)
I want to build a little CPU/RAM/etc. meter with 6x 1mA ammeters and want them to be lightened up with a little LED per meter that only shines a little if the meter is around 0% and then get's brighter and brighter according to the meter.
Is that possible with the 6 PWM outputs from the Arduino? How do I have to solder that together?

Thank you :)

MarkT

Since mechanical galvonometers (that's the precise word for the analog ammeters you mean) have a mechanical mass they automatically low-pass-filter a PWM signal nicely.  You just need to limit current appropriately.   For a 1mA FSD (full scale deflection) you want a total of 5k resistance from a 5V PWM  signal.   The meter itself will have a resistance of a few hundred ohms or so (this should be in the specs), so try a 4k7 resistor in series.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

optikfluffel

yes my meters have 410? ^^
but I don't understand/know how to hook the LEDs to that and let them dim =/
(sorry for being such a n00b xD)

majenko

yes my meters have 410? ^^
but I don't understand/know how to hook the LEDs to that and let them dim =/
(sorry for being such a n00b xD)

LED+resistor in parallel with the meter+resistor.

optikfluffel

So just something like this ?
Code: [Select]

/----(Resistor)--(LED)------\
Arduino PWM --:                             :-- Ground
               \----(Resistor)--(Meter)----/

MarkT

Yup, perfect - make sure the resistor for the LED limits the current to 10mA or less or the output voltage to the meter will droop (or use a different pin and drive the LED upto 25mA.  The pin output transistors have a finite resistance around 30 to 40 ohms when running from 5V
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

optikfluffel

Thank you so much :)
One (hopefully last) more question: Does a 0,6W 0.1% resistor do it?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy